Tuesday Talk: 9/13 How was your baby's health...

Community Leader
Tuesday Talk: 9/13 How was your baby's health...
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 10:57am

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thankfully, my baby was very healthy. I think the Apgars were 8 & 9. The only thing I really had was that she seem to choke a lot on the fluid during the first couple of days, and was really scaring me. And then she had jaundice, you can actually see that she's yellow looking in the pic in my siggy (that was taking the day we came home), but they didn't do anything other than monitor levels. She also lost just over a pound while we were in the hospital waiting for my milk to come in. They had threatened me that if she lost any more weight that we would have to start a SNS (supplemental nursing system), but the next day she gained 1 ounce and that was enough to keep us from having to do that. My milk came in that same day--the day we left the hospital (at 3 days old), and by one week old she had gained back to her birth weight. And hasn't stopped since. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Well, he was early and I'd been on mag, so he needed resuscitation. His apgar scores were 4 and 8, I believe. He was in the stepped-down nursery for four hours with my husband. After that, he was fine, in better shape than I was.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

iVillage Member

Well his apgars were 8 and 9 and he turned red and started screaming and flailing around right away. The pedi told us he had fluid in his lungs though and rushed him to the NICU. After chest x-rays, they found his lungs were clear but decided his blood sugar was too low and tube fed him formula which did not bring his blood sugar up very quickly, so they said he had to stay on the tube feeding. His oxygen level kept dipping so they put him on oxygen and his body temp was low so he was under the warmer. His "platelets were a little off" (whatever the heck that means) so they put him on IV antibiotics. The first time I saw him he was sleeping naked, hooked up to tubes and wires under the heat lamps. It was horrible. I think it was about 3 hours after he was born. The next morning, the nurse (disagreeing with some of the measures taken) agreed to let me hold him and his body temp and oxygen levels came up and stayed up. On the 3rd day he was taken off oxygen and I was finally allowed to breastfeed him which greatly increased his alertness. On the 4th day the pedi doing rounds that morning said he didn't know why were were placed in the NICU to begin with and that we should take him home. Oh, and on another blood test, it showed that he had no infection to begin with and the dr said his platelets were probably off because of stress from the failed pitocin induction.

My conclusion is that LO was in good health and that pedi on call that day was a crazy woman who created a lot of heartache for our family. From the reading I've done since, all of his problems (temp, oxygen, blood sugar) could have been fixed with some skin to skin contact with mama and some nursing. I've also heard lots of complaints about that pedi since our experience with her.

Manda :)

Community Leader
Manda,

Your whole experience really makes me mad. I know that things would have went a lot better FOR BOTH OF YOU if you and your baby had gotten to have some skin-to-skin in those early days!!
Photobucket
Community Leader

Addison was perfect aside from the position of her legs and her flat-ish head. She was quite comfy squished at the top of my uterus. We had to watch her legs/hips. Her apgars were 9 & 9. (Me on the other hand... lol.)

She did have a teeny momentary issue with the hearing test, but the tester said that it happens sometimes with c-section babies... because they aren't pushed through the canal, liquid can stay in the ears. But then she passed.

She did have baby acne though. But I wouldn't consider that a health issue. (Although I wish there was some magic pill... she still breaks out AND has eczema!)

iVillage Member
Well I think they forget to tell you that "baby acne" isn't just for newborns. At almost 11 mos we still get it from time to time, and no, it isn't heat rash. He's got that too, but it's in the folds of his neck. Luckily (knock on wood...) the acne seems to be getting better lately. Your comment about Addison's legs reminds me that my LO's legs and feet were curved. He was good sized at 20.5 in. and 8 lbs 4 oz and I'm only 5' 2" so I guess he was packed in there pretty tight. I guess it wasn't anything to be concerned about though because the docs never said anything about it.

Manda :)

Community Leader

Uhm, thanks? LOL

She just had a small break-out again. Nothing as bad as it was, but still. Sheesh. ;)

I think Addison did some maneuver because the week before the section she was breech but her feet were down. So somewhere between that Monday and the following Friday she got her legs up behind her ears, lol. Obviously she has a great sense of direction. ;) I think that played a huge part in the development of her hips, thankfully.

Community Leader
Mine all got baby acne around 4-5 weeks, and it cleared up after a few weeks. But, looked just awful while it was there. I've read that it's due to the mom's hormones working their way out of the baby's system.

I've also read that breastfeeding helps give them clearer skin too. My oldest, after he got over the baby acne, everyone always commented on his beautiful skin. But, about a month after we weaned, he developed exzema, and I was so sad that his "beautiful" skin was now getting all the rough rad patches all over. :(
Photobucket