Tuesday Talk~10/11 Did you have any false alarms

Community Leader
Tuesday Talk~10/11 Did you have any false alarms
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 10:30am

before your actual delivery?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 1:57pm

No false alarms but I did think labor was starting several times. I was really determined NOT to have a false alarm and I really wanted to labor at home as long as possible so I tried hard not to get to carried away with those early contractions. For about 10 days before the big day I did have contractions that were getting more and more serious. Seemed like almost every day, usually in the afternoon they would get frequent enough that I'd start timing them but after a couple of hours they'd die down again. I remember being excited but also very calm about it, then of course a little disappointed when the contractions went away.

Manda :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 6:02pm
I'm not sure how to answer that, although my situation is a little different. With my daughter, I had false labor two or three times before I went into labor for real. But I didn't actually go in. With Francis, I was forever going in because of my blood pressure. Forever means I went to OB Care (an ER for OB) eight times in the last four weeks of my pregnancy. The last time I went in, they kept me and he was taken by c/s the next day.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

Community Leader
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 10:31am

I too did not want to be that person that went in a thousand times thinking "this is it", only to get sent home.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-14-2011 - 7:17am

Not with DS but with DD i had about 6 hours of contractions that were about 8 minutes apart.

pregnancy due date
Community Leader
Fri, 10-14-2011 - 10:58am
I don't blow things like that off as false labor, cause sometimes I think it can take days and days to be in early labor.

With ds#2, there was one night that I really did think we were going to end up in the hospital, and if I had pushed the issue, I almost bet we would have been having him that night.

It was about 5 days before he was actually born, and I had just gone to the doc's office the day before to be told I had NO cervical change at all. I was so bummed cause I was pushing for them to induce me at 38 wks trying to avoid going through what I had in my first delivery due to baby's size. And they would only induce then if I was dilated to 2 and 50% effaced.

Well, the day after that appt, I started having contractions that did get worse and worse. They were totally taking me out, and had my husband really freaked out. But, I kept waiting and waiting cause I didn't want to go to the hospital unless I was sure they would keep me. And finally after about 12 hours they stopped.

Well, the doc wanted me to come back to her office quicker this time to before making final decisions about how we would deliver. And when I went back a few days later, I had progressed to 2 and 75%!! :) She said she would start the induction that evening. So, I KNOW it was that day of contractions that got me to that point. At least it wasn't all in vain. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 12:21pm

I agree. I think lots of times women are in labor and end up at the hospital only to be sent home and think that it was "false labor" but in reality, it's just "really long" labor. My cousin went in on a Tuesday night after having contractions all day, becoming more and more painful and closer together. But at the hospital they said she wasn't progressing so it wasn't really labor so they sent her home. The baby was born on Thursday (she'd continued the same contractions since Tuesday). She knew she was in labor to begin with and I'm sure she was right. Its a good thing the hospital didn't keep her though or she probably would have ended up with a c/s since it took another 2 days for her to have the baby.

I have a theory on this too. I know when my MW sent me from my appt over to the hospital to be induced, she told me she thought I was in labor (early stage). I had felt for several days that the birth was imminent. I'd had a couple of hours of regular contractions every day (afternoons) and each day they were stronger. That morning, I'd woke up with contractions, which was different because I had not been having them in the mornings. BUT when we got to the hospital, it all pretty much stopped. I really wasn't feeling any more contractions (except when they insisted on checking me) and I wasn't feeling the pressure I'd been feeling for the 2 wks prior. I seriously think the stress of the whole situation stopped my labor. I didn't progress any more and although as they amped up the pit, I did eventually have some stronger contrax, they never got regular. I think the nervousness of being induced and the major discomfort of being made to lay on my back (yes, the nurse insisted-rudely-I lay on my back!) stopped my labor. I'm sure this type of thing has stopped lots of labors.

Manda :)

Community Leader
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 7:07pm
I totally agree, Manda!
Photobucket