Tuesday Talk~10/25 Did you make a birth plan?

Community Leader
Tuesday Talk~10/25 Did you make a birth plan?
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 3:35pm

If so, did it include what to do in the case of c-sections?

How closely were things followed?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 10:37pm
The day F was born, I had made an appt with my doula to go over a few things and make birth plan. So I guess the answer to that would be no.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

Community Leader
Wed, 10-26-2011 - 10:29am
LOL Holly!

I've never written out an official plan either, but I knew my preferences.

With the c-section, I asked to have the cathetor placed after the spinal (of course, in my case that made them forget to do it-LOL). I wanted my husband to follow the baby to the nursery, and for the baby to be brought to me as soon as possible (as long as health allowed). No formula to be given, unless absolutely necessary. And pain meds given on a schedule and not just when I asked for them. I also planned to stay the longest my insurance allowed in the hospital to give my body the best headstart to healing before having to go home and handle all 4 kids while trying to recover too. I did not want staples used, and wanted them to be extra EXTRA sure the spinal was working since I had trouble with my epi's in my vaginal deliveries.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-26-2011 - 5:23pm
The closest I came to a birth plan with F was to ask the attending OB why she planned to torture me for 24 hours by trying to induce labor before giving me what would essentially be an inevitable c-section. I wanted a VBAC very badly, but under those circumstances it was practically guaranteed to fail and only cause me more pain and frustration.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 6:44am
I didn't make one with either of mine and i don't think I'll make one with this LO either, just give the usual instructions for the nursery staff, like no bottles or pacifiers, and no circ if it's a boy.
pregnancy due date
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 1:35pm
Yes we did and no, it did not include c-s. It included everything UP TO that but it honestly never occurred to us that it would get to that point because we did not plan on doing any of the things that make a c-s more likely, like being induced, having an IV, staying in bed, constant monitoring etc.; all of which I ended up having done (and lo and behold-had a c-s!).
The nurses completely ignored my wishes to be comfortable, get out of bed, walk around. They made me lay on my back so the monitors would stay on. Everytime I would ask to get up for the bathroom, they'd knock on the door and threaten to come in and "help" me. I didn't need help. I was in there playin around and enjoying my big belly in the big mirror!

Manda :)

Community Leader
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 2:55pm
LOL Your last sentence was awesome!! LOL

I think it's near impossible to have a natural delivery in a hospital cause they do want intercede and monitor and such. They don't do well just standing by and supporting the mom. I wish birth centers were more readily available, cause I think a lot more women would have success if they were able to go to places like that instead of the hospital environment.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 2:00pm
That is so true. I wish we had a birth center here. DH and I had a long talk about all of this the other night and he said something that made a lot of sense to me. He said that when we went to the hospital, we were making a choice to turn over decision-making power to our midwives, the drs and nurses. When we decided to pay them for their services, we gave them the power to tell us how, when, why, and where things would happen. It is for this reason I am feeling more and more open to investigating a home birth for the next time.

Manda :)

Community Leader
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 10:26am
Yep, that is so true, Manda!! I hope you will find one close enough for you to consider for your next birth.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 5:10pm
With our third birth, planned homebirth, I had a birth plan in case I had to transfer which included vaginal and cesarean delivery. With my last birth I wrote out a birth plan but mostly it was just to talk to my OB with to make sure I got everything I wanted out of the birth, and I did. So during the actual birth I was able to verbally articulate everything I wanted, such as taking the placenta home with me, which pain meds I wanted, closure type, when to do the cath.... I always send a separate newborn care sheet so they know no bottles etc.