TUESDAY TALK~11/22 Making plans for Older Kids

Community Leader
TUESDAY TALK~11/22 Making plans for Older Kids
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 11:28am

If you already had children, what plans did you make for them during the delivery, hospital stay, and recovery?

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 11-29-2011 - 2:52pm
I'm going to let this one run for this week too, since the holiday probably kept many people away (like me!!).

With Charleigh, I did know that I was most likely having a c-section, so I was planning accordingly. We had a scheduled delivery day and plan for that, but she didn't stick to my plan!! LOL

Anyway, I had a local friend who was my "on call" person cause none of my family lives close by. And then of course, I had my mom to be ready to head our direction as soon as she got the word. She lives 2 hours away.

So, my mom stayed with my older kids at my house while I was in the hospital. The big 2 are in school, and so they needed to be here so they could keep going. And I really have always felt that when you have something as big and life-changing like this happening, that the most that can stay the same for them the better. So, keeping them in their own beds, and on their typical routines was very important to me.

My mom is the one that has stayed with my kids in the past, so I knew I could trust her, and she knew pretty well what I expected too. I typed out a guideline of events, but she had freedom to deviate as needed. I felt it would just help her by knowing what their normal routines were, as to why they would have certain behaviors at certain times.

I stocked the fridge as best I could, beforehand and tried to make it as easy as possible for their care. And I even left play money so that she could treat them to a special meal if they were being good.

As far as the hospital goes, they were not there for the delivery. This one was particularly interesting because we didn't find out the gender till birth. And *I* wanted to be the one to tell them what kind of sibling they got because *I* wanted to see their reaction. So, when I was setting up their care, I had to know it was someone I could trust wouldn't try to take that moment for themselves, ya know. I do have some family that I know would have done that.

But, they came a few hours after the delivery, and we did get to tell them (and actually videoed their reactions). We had them guess, and my oldest said "Boy" and the middle 2 said "Girl". :)

My mom brought them to the hospital each day that I was there, and they would stay for about an hour. And I would call them right before their bed time each night to check in. The hospital is only about 10 minutes from my house, so I felt better about that too.

Leaving those older kids is always the hardest thing for me with each delivery. I would so do the homebirth experience to just get out of doing THAT if I thought I could really handle it. (But because of my sever post-partum hemmorhages, I would never try!!) But, every time has gone better than I ever expected.

When my 2nd was born, my hospital stay was the first time I had every REALLY been away from my oldest who was 2 1/2 yrs at the time. I was SICK just thinking about it. Thinking he's going to be upset with me not being there, and no one will be able to take care of him the way he needs. Yeah, well, evidently, I'm more expendable than I thought! LOL He did great!! And it was actually nice having the hospital time to spend one-on-one with the newest baby getting to know them, cause once I got home the real juggling began!!

After my c-section, my dh was home for a week, and then I had other family come in for the week following that to help out with the house and kids. But, truthfully, I didn't need the extra hands so much. My dh was very capable of helping do the necessity stuff, and all the rest I could either handle myself or let it go!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-29-2011 - 11:47pm
F came five weeks before his due date. But we knew he would likely come early, and my parents were prepared to take E at any time. It was not a planned c-section nor a planned delivery, but we were as ready as we could be.