iVillage Member
Registered: 05-21-2003
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 2:49pm
Okay... I realize some of thie kind of discussion has gone on in some of the other posts.... but I just felt like asking anyway.

Is it a must to have a C/S if you had one previously??

My first child(1/1/95) was born natural and I have no complicaitons whatsoever. My second child(5/7/99) was born emergency c-section. I went in the day before for a normal checkup and the doctor felt like I and the baby was ready to come out so he scheduled me for an induce labot the next morning.

Things did not progress well at all. Went in at 5am, started inducing with pytocin(spelling) after all prep work was done, and still hadn't had any major results 6 hours later. They physically broke my water. Upped the medicine because I refused to have contractions...lol. Then around 1 or almost 2(she was finally born at 2:30pm) they were telling us that her heart rate was too low during contractions and that wasn't a good sign. They were also unsure if she was just in stress or if it was from the medication. So after trying a few things, including them physically moving her around inside of me to see if she would respond better in a different position, me lying in different positions, and stuff, they decided that her heart rate was getting too low and couldn't do anything else for her, or me, but to get her out of there. I am rushed to the operating room where they give me a spinal and anesthesia. I am shaking the entire time during and after because of the anesthesia. They get my little girl out and she isn't breathing. My husband said she was totally blue. I didn't hear her cry for probably 5 minutes while they resucitated her, it seemed like forever. I didn't even get to see her. They rushed her to NICU. The main complication I had, besides normal pain and soreness, was that I had spinal headaches, which they didn't believe me at first because I have sinus problems. I could not stand up for longer then 30 secounds without getting a headache. I couldn't even take a shower by myself, and without holding on to the railing. So they made me drink caffeine(which I had previously not ahd much of and would get headaches when having too much at once). So when they finaly did the procedure to take care of that I was fine(I was also totally engorged for not being able to breastfeed my baby. they finally brought in a breast pump so I could that and they could use the milk in the nursery). I got to see her two days after having her, but I still hadn't had the spinal thing done to relieve the headaches so I had to be wheeled in. I got to breastfeed her finally then too. Anyway, I was able to walk the next day, within 5 minutes of them solving my spinal headaches(which they take blood from you and then insert it back into your spine so it can fill air pockets that may have developed) and got to go and see her on my own. They were very surprised to see me up and standing so fast. My little one wasn't released for almost 3 more days. Everything was said to be fine but she had jaundice so I was to watch that. I breastfed her for about 2-3 weeks, her esophagal flap wasn't fully formed so she had to sit up to take anything, so I ahd to switch to bottle after finding that out. Other complication I had was that a week after having her I went to take a shower and had enough time to tell my husband that I think I was bleeding too much .... he got in the bathroom in enough time to catch me before I fell. I woke up to EMS over me and I was in nothing but a robe. The doctor told me that my uterus just decided to release itself, muscle spasm, and I should be fine. I also wonder now, with her being 4, if any of the birthing complications affected her. I barely got her potty trained(my oldest was by 2) and she doesn't talk all that much, has her few phrases that she knows by heart, she doesn't read(oldest was reading at 3), and I have a hard time getting her to sit and try to do ABC's or numbers(if I get her to do half it is a good day). I have had a speech pathologist(oldest is taking speech therapy) tell me that she is being lazy, that the older sibling is talking too much for her, their previous doctor also told me this.... so this would totally be a different question if I should be concerned about her development or jsut throw it off as laziness as they are??

So I guess the main issue is Do I have to have a C/S just because I have had one before?? My SIL is having her second c/s just because she had one with her first. I have read in some previous posts/discussions that you can have a vaginal birth after a c/s, but is the pain any worse and all? Should I specifically look for a doctor that has that option, that doesn't rule out VBAC(I think is how I have seen it abbreviated)??

My husband is wanting me to do some research on it and I would just like some input and some actual experience in this matter.

Sorry that I have made this extremely long... just felt the history of the last birth should be voiced to. I have never had any complications during pregnancy. They didn't think I gained enough weight with the last child though (she was 6 ounds, first child was 8). Otherwise the only problems I ahve is that I ahve asthma and allergies, but they have never been a factor before in birthing.

Thank you in advance for any help with this. I do intend to look into this further and would greatly appreciate any help I can get.


iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-1998
In reply to: itsmerina
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 4:18pm
After all that, I can see why you don't want a repeat. It is not mandatory to have another c-section. However, it is getting harder & harder to find a doctor who won't pressure you to do so, and a hospital that will support both of you. Therefore you SHOULD look for a VBAC friendly practitioner, to keep the option open. How to do that is probably best discussed on the VBAC board.

I only had the two kids, one by c-section and one by unmedicated VBAC, so I can't say if natural childbirth hurts worse after having had a c-section (that was what you meant with the question about pain, right?) I know that a VBAC hurts a whole lot less afterwards than an uncomplicated c-section, and I have my mother's word (never had a c-section) that each successive birth is easier.

As for complications to your daughter, if you're worried you should get her evaluated but my 4-yo doesn't read yet either, and she's perfectly fine. And when I didn't speak intelligibly until after age 4 and some therapy, they did blame it on "laziness and having a big sister/interpreter". Nor is your description of potty training particularly out of line. Children DO develop at different rates, and at this age it really isn't much indication how they'll do later on. (I checked out the FAQ on the "gifted children" board. One of the questions was "Is my child gifted because she's doing 'X' so early?" Answer -- too soon to tell.)

Hmm. This is out of order, but perhaps another point needs to be made. There was nothing "wrong" with me for speaking late, but I did benefit from the therapy, anyway. If nothing else, it got me away from my interpreter, and I was drilled a lot on making the speach sounds correctly. Even though they're telling you "nothing is wrong", at this age you probably do want to work on it somehow, so that people will understand her when she goes to school.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-30-2003
In reply to: itsmerina
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 8:25pm

Just wanted to discuss your situation. My understanding of having a VBAC. The literature says that a VBAC is very possible with most people. You'll really need to talk to your dr. about your risk factors. I know some people have to have C/Ss for a variety of reasons. I did not have an emergency c/s. I was told that most bigger hospitals who have an anestiologist (sp) and can guarantee that s/he can get to you within 30 minutes by the time a c/s is called can let you try for a VBAC. But in smaller community hospitals, who cannot guarantee this, a VBAC is not recommended.

The other reason I wanted to write you is because I am a speech-language pathologist. I am concerned about your little girl. By the age of four, she should be saying many things spontaneously not just a few phrases. I realize that I do not know your family or any thing about the situation. Many older children talk for their siblings, but the fact that you say she only has a few phrases that she knows by heart bothers me. I would definitely get a second opinion. You can refer her through the school system for a free evaluation. You could request a different speech therapist other than the one you've talked to. It couldn't hurt. She should automatically be screened for speech and language when she enters Kindergarten. But if she were my child, I would go ahead and have her evaluated.

Hope this helped.

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
In reply to: itsmerina
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 11:16am
There are a lot of factors, as was already stated, affecting whether you are a good candidate for VBAC or not. Definitely get your surgical report and find out all you can about your previous surgery--what kind of incision was made, what suturing was done, whether there were any tears or other problems with your uterus at the time.

Since you've already had one vaginal birth, if you had a low transverse incision (which is the most common), and you don't have any other complicating factors, you're probably in a good position to try VBAC, and your chances of completing a VBAC (rather than having another unplanned c/s) are probably pretty high.

Having a supportive caregiver is important, and having a good place to have your baby is important too. I personally wasn't comfortable considering homebirth for VBAC (I'm due in a couple of weeks), but some people feel that it's the best choice for them.

So, there are probably more questions than answers at this point--but there's nothing I could see in what you posted that would rule you out to consider it.


Amy, mom to Gabriel (c/s, CPD), and #2, EDD 6/6/03, planning for VBAC