2012 Pregnancy Trend: More Home Births!

iVillage Member
2012 Pregnancy Trend: More Home Births!
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 12:02pm
Would you choose to give birth at home rather than a hospital? An increasing number of women are going for it. The rate of home births rose a dramatic 29 percent between 2004 and 2009 (the most recent year for which numbers are available) according to a report released this year by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Births that took place outside of a hospital setting increased from 0.56 perfect to 0.72 percent of all births. And for non-Hispanic white women specifically, home births were up a whopping 36 percent, which accounts for one in every 90 births. One possible reason for the uptick in babies born at home? Women want to have more control over the childbirth process and avoid hospital interventions -- which may not be surprising, given that U.S. c-section rate is also on the rise and nearly 1 in 3 babies is now born via cesarean.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/biggest-pregnancy-trends-2012/6-b-470484#ixzz2AiZweCMv

Interesting to see!  What have you seen in your area?  What do you think is leading to an increase in the amount of women having home births?

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Sat, 11-03-2012 - 11:29am

I know in my area it's made a huge difference that home births are covered by Alberta Health Care. When I home birthed in 2002, it cost $3,200. A few years later when a friend home birthed, it cost about $3,400. Also, there is now more information available about home birthing. It's not a lifestyle, it's just a way of giving birth. You don't need to be a card carrying New Democratic Party member, you don't need to be vegetarian, you don't need to live in the areas of the city that are regarded as "Dippy Hippy", 'Avant Garde" and/or "New Age", anyone can do it.

Gail