Baby B's home birth!

iVillage Member
Baby B's home birth!
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 2:52pm

~xposted to August 2010 EC~

Short version: "B" was born at 12:26 am today 7/31 after 4 1/2 hours of labor/pushing in my aqua tub at home. She weighs 9 lbs. 10 oz. and is 20.5 inches long.

Long version: I had acupuncture on Thursday to help bring about labor. I did get some minor cramping during the therapy, so I was optimistic. Went about the rest of my day.

Next morning, woke up feeling okay. Hadn't had any contractions but also hadn't slept very well. I had a MW appointment at 11 and went on my way. On the way home, I started feeling nauseous. (TMI alert) I had diarrhea as soon as I got home. I thought maybe this was a good sign that labor would be soon? Yeah, ended up being worse than that. For the next 3 or 4 hours, I had stomach spasms and alternated between throwing up and more diarrhea. Called my MW and they think it was probably a gall bladder attack. At one point, I started having little uterine contractions. Right before another bout of throwing up, I felt a trickle. Called the MW again. She told me to put a pad on and monitor for color.

Thank goodness, what ever was going on with my stomach stopped and I was able to get a couple of hours of sleep. I woke up to very close together, but not very strong, contractions at about 7. Called the MW AGAIN (LOL), she said it sounded like sever dehydration and I should drink as much water as possible and call her back in an hour or two. I took it upon myself to get in my tub at this time. I know that they don't want you to get in until you are really in active labor but I was feeling a huge amount of pressure and knew it probably wouldn't be long.

I did end up calling her in a hour, but that was because I was in full swing active labor by then! My contractions were strong enough that I had to hum threw them. She said she was on her way and to try not to have the baby before I got there! She lives about 45 minutes from me. She called DH about 20 minutes later and told him that she was trying to get here as fast as she could but she was currently driving through a lightening storm. Funny thing, DD was born during a lightening storm 2 years ago!

She got there and called the back up MW to hurry on over because I was having this baby. Other MW got there when I was in transition and my body had started spontaneously pushing. I admit that this is the part that I really really hate and I have trouble staying on top of my contractions during it. My body just, pushes. I really focused on trying to breath the baby down and not force my body to push more than it was.

After maybe half hour of pushing I shouted "her head is coming!" MW said later that she put on a surgical glove to check where the head was because and out popped her head and an arm! I felt so much better once her head was out and started reaching down for her saying I wanted my baby. Another easy, slow push and I delivered her body and she was in my arms. She didn't cry, but made a couple of small noises and wiggled around in my arms.

It was wonderful. After a couple of minutes, I decided to move from the tub to my bed so that we could nurse. The water of the tub was just too deep for that. She latched on right away but hasn't quite gotten it down and my nipples are very sore. I only had one small tear that MW put three stitches in. DH and I went over his name choices and I chose Lark Elizabeth.

She is a great sleeper and has been very hungry! DD reacted so well to her sister in the morning. I brought Lark out into the living room and Sloane pointed to her and exclaimed "baby!" then started clapping. She also came up and kissed her head while I was nursing. I am so thankful for that.

I have to say that it was so nice to be able to crawl into my own bed with my new baby and my husband right after delivering. And I got to get up this morning and take a shower in my own bathroom. The after pains have been pretty intense but the MWs gave me a herbal remedy that is really helping with it. I have been working with Lark on her latch but will see an LC if it doesn't improve in a day or two.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 11:19am

If it works, I couldn't care less how it tastes!

I heard some great advice after Kadyn was born... Go to the bathroom right before you nurse and since your bladder doesn't add extra pressure on your uterus, the afterpains won't be as bad. It worked, although it didn't make them go completely away.

Photobucket

Thanking Mandy for the amazing siggy!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Photobucket

Than

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 4:09pm
It's this stuff called AfterEase from Wish Garden Herbs. You can take it every 15 minutes in the beginning. I also took preemptive doses before nursing because that's when it was the worst. I will tell you that it tastes awful because it's a tincher (sp) so grain alcohol is the base!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 4:00pm

Congratulations on your precious daughter! I love her name!

I'm curious what the midwives gave you for the afterpains because mine have gotten increasingly more intense with each birth and I have to say I'm more nervous about them than anything else for this baby's birth. It would be great to have something more natural to be able to take the edge off. With our third, I was literally in tears from them!

Photobucket

Thanking Mandy for the amazing siggy!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Photobucket

Than

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 9:52pm

I was wondering about you and had come here to check. YAY!!! And I totally know what you mean about the involuntary pushing.

Welcome to the world Lark!

Loral

Loral