mid-March waterbirth

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-01-2006
mid-March waterbirth
Sun, 04-01-2007 - 10:48pm

Our baby was born on Tuesday, March 13th at 1:15 a.m. He is a healthy baby boy and weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. and was 20 inches long. We named him Jack. He was born in our home in a waterbirth tub as we had planned a homebirth with a midwife. We had our DD at home as well but this was our first waterbirth. The labor went very fast and although that is what I had thought might happen and thought that I wanted, it went a bit too fast for my husband, as he was not prepared. This caused problems for us since I needed him to be there for me AND set up supplies. He ended up setting up the tub and putting out the birth supplies but did not do the other things that we had prepared which were to get the camera/ video ready and lead me through my hypnosis for childbirth CDs and scripts. I still benefited tremendously from the hypnosis and listened to one of the affirmations CDs which relaxed me through that 30 minutes or so.

This is how the day went:

I had Braxton-Hicks from that morning when I woke up and by that afternoon, I realized I was having some contractions that were demanding my attention. Nothing painful though or regular so I just waited for it to stop or get stronger and regular.

At 9 o'clock that night things intensified but as I was not sure if I was going into labor, I called my friend, Sarah, and my midwife to give them the heads up. I decided to take a shower to see if the contractions stopped or intensified. So sometime between 9 p.m. to 10 p.m., I went into labor. Unlike my first labor which in total lasted 49 hours with a prodromal early labor, this early labor was less than an hour. I called my friend and my midwife and asked them both to come over. I had not had any bloody show that I noticed and my water bag was still intact.

My midwife arrived at 11:15 p.m. and checked me and I was between 4 and 5 cm dilated with the baby high up at station -2. She said the baby would most likely come down when my water broke. I labored in my bedroom on the birthing ball while my husband set up the tub. I was in the bedroom for about an hour and a half. I was feeling the power of the contractions intensify and asked if I should get into the tub which was in the living room. I went to the bathroom to empty my bladder and my membranes released ("water broke") right into the toilet. It was so clean and did not get on everyone. The liquid was clear with a little bit of blood. I peed and then wrestled into a bathing suit top and skirt. It was all I could do to make it down the hall and get into the tub between contractions. This was around 1 a.m.

After I got into the tub, I was upset and distracted by a crinkly noise. I think it was the package for sterile gloves but it really broke my concentration. I mentioned this and the noise stopped and I breathed through a few more contractions. I already was feeling the urge to push but was too deep into the labor trance or hypnosis or whatever to communicate this right away. I was kneeling with my arms and head resting on the side of the tub when I said that I felt the urge to push. My midwife asked if I could change position so that she could check me. Her apprentice, Michelle, was putting a doppler on my belly to listen to the baby's heartbeat. I moved to a semi-reclining position to push and felt between my legs as his head was moving down. I told my husband who was at my left side to go to the front of the tub to be ready. It was dark in the room and my midwife shined the flashlight into the water. The baby's head was crowning and my husband got to feel his head coming out into the water. He said something like, "it's beautiful," and sounded fascinated. The baby was born and then placed on my chest. He was crying loud and I closed my eyes and held him tight. Even though he just came out of the water, he was still quite slippery. A towel was placed on us but I was feeling the temperature dropping. I was helped out of the tub while holding the baby as we were still attached. The cord was cut and then I birthed the placenta. My husband held the baby after cutting the cord. I lost very little blood and easing the baby out slowly helped a lot. I tore again but not nearly as bad as last time so I got stitches. This time, luckily, I got to stay at home and my midwife sutured me.

So we are settling in and breastfeeding is a challenge. Having a toddler and a newborn is a challenge and a blessing, so we'll have to see how that works out.

Congratulations to all of the other moms and babies on this board!

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-04-2004
Sun, 04-01-2007 - 11:25pm

Wow, Congratulations!

jess-2-1.gif picture by brazenladyj
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-02-2006
Mon, 04-02-2007 - 9:58pm

Thank you for sharing!! And welcome to baby Jack -- have a wonderful time with your new baby.


= = = = = = = = = =
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-20-2006
Mon, 04-16-2007 - 1:26pm
Thank you so much for posting this beautiful birth story! I am hoping for a water birth in May and am also using Hypnobabies. Your story just gives me more confidence that I can do it! Congrats to you, enjoy your growing family!
Avatar for sk8termum
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-04-2003
Tue, 05-01-2007 - 11:10pm

Congratulations and welcome baby Jack! Sounds like a wonderful birth.

Désirée, mom to Steven, Juliana, Andrew, Carina, Michaela, and Daniel, ages 19 to 4, and all homebirthed - Hoping for a tiebreaker soon!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket