Advice, please?

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-18-2008
Advice, please?
8
Fri, 10-15-2010 - 12:33pm

My first baby was a breech c/s baby. I'm now expecting my second; his due date is December 17th. It took me a good long while to find a doctor who would allow me to try VBAC. I'm happy with my doctor, but he has warned me that if I go into labor and he cannot make it to the delivery, I'd almost certainly have to have a c-section with whichever doctor is on-call. Because of this, he wants to schedule an induction on a day that he knows he will be available all day--December 13th.

I'm so torn on this. I know my chances of a successful VBAC are greatest if I go into labor naturally. I'd also hoped to do an unmedicated birth, but the odds of that happening with an induction are also reduced. On the other hand, doctors (and hospitals) are so anti-VBAC around here that I have no doubt that he is right about what will happen if I happen to go into labor on a day when he is unavailable. I've cnsidered (and rejected) other birthing options like homebirth already; it's not for me and my husband is strongly opposed to delivering outside a hospital. There are no birthing centers where I live, so my options are very limited

Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Sat, 10-16-2010 - 6:59pm

I'm sorry you're in this position.

Rose

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-18-2008
Sat, 10-16-2010 - 11:42pm

I never went into labor with my first daughter. We found out she was breech and big (over 9 lbs and I am not a big person!) when I was 40 weeks, and the doctor took her on the day before her due date. Turns out she was wedged up in there; it took the doctor awhile to wiggle her out during the c-section.

Because I never went into labor with my first, I'm thinking that I'd feel more comfortable thinking about an induction on or after my due date. I was completely caught off-guard when the doctor suggested scheduling an induction when I still have nearly nine weeks to go. I assumed that we'd only discuss it if I was showing signs of being ready to go into labor; however, I received a call yesterday telling me my induction was already scheduled at the hospital. I'm annoyed, too, because I told my doctor I'd have to think about scheduling an induction. I suppose I'm feeling a little let down by the whole situation.

Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Sun, 10-17-2010 - 2:28pm
You are an excellent candidate for a vbac. I wouldn't like being scheduled this way, either. Will your dr be around after your due date? If you go into labor early, will your dr be there? You have the right to deny a c/s. You can also fire your dr even when in labor and the hospital by law must find you a new dr. Have you thought about getting a doula? She will be able to help you vbac, especially if your Dr isn't there or if labor takes longer than expected.

Rose

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-18-2010
Mon, 10-18-2010 - 12:27am
There is so much to consider! I had my first VBAC last April. I believe waiting to go into natural labor AND hiring a doula had a lot to do with my success. My first born was delivered after a long (induced) labor via c-section. She was large (9lbs.) and wouldn't descend. Looking back now, I would never have induced. I believe that contributed to some of the reasons for my c-section. My son (#2) was 9 lbs. 4 oz. and born via VBAC! I have narrow hips as well....you're body can do amazing things! I, too, got stuck with doctors on call that were non-supportive. The nurses, however, were amazing!

Remember, you are in the driver's seat. You can wait to go into natural labor. It's not a matter of the doctors allowing you to have a "Trial of Labor", you get to decide! I know they will give you a hard time, but it is still your decision. Although you may not have the most supportive doctors if you choose to wait, you will lower your risks by not inducing. Make sure you have a supportive team....husband, doula, etc.

My biggest regret with my first birth: not taking control. The reasons for my successful VBAC: supportive labor team and nurses, positive thinking, exercise, waiting for labor to start on its own (almost 2 weeks past due), and no induction.



iVillage Member
Registered: 10-18-2007
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 9:29am

In regards for just wanting your dr to be there, isn't it customary that they only tend to come when you are pushing, anyway? I'd definitely cancel the induction (or just not show up) and let your body go into labour naturally.

Love Megs


Lilypie Maternity tickers


Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-28-2005
Fri, 10-29-2010 - 12:02pm

I agree with the others that a doula might be the way to go.

I hope you're feeling well!


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-20-2006
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 4:52pm

I can understand your stress. I too was encouraged by my doctor to schedule an induction to help ensure that she would be there for the delivery. Unlike your situation, she felt that the two other physicians in her practice would back me up with the VBac, but still--I had been with my doctor the entire time, and wanted her to be part of the delivery! I was nervous about inducing since I would have preferred to go into labor on my own. But I ended up scheduling the induction, but

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-20-2008
Sat, 12-04-2010 - 1:21am

Hi there. I just read your post- the most important thing to remember is you do what you believe is best for you and your baby. Contrary to what many