Aymers099 ? for you

iVillage Member
Aymers099 ? for you
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 11:00am

I noticed in post that you stated

"I did everything I could get get things moving. DTD, walks, I used an exercise ball to do some hip rotations and squats to help open things up. You name it I tried it."

Do you feel like those things help you deliver before 40 weeks? When did you start doing things such as squats, hip rotations on the ball? I don't want to start doing these things too early if thats possible, but don't want to wait too late either..

My Dr. wants be to go into labor before my actual due date, and I think it is fully possible, I just want to do things to help my body without getting to the point of feeling desperate to try things that could be harming ie castor oil which I don't thing I could do that anyway..

Kelly

Photobucket
Photobucket  
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 12:10pm

Sorry for barging in...since it wasn't directed to me, but I wanted to offer a couple of thoughts.

I am very skeptical of when a doctor says they want you to go into labor. Normally, the baby dictates when she's ready to come out. (See this article about evidence that a protein from the baby's lungs is what gets labor going: http://pregnancyandbaby.sheknows.com/pregnancy/baby/What-starts-labor-3232.htm) Basically, when the baby's lungs are ready, they secrete this protein, which sets off a cascade of hormonal reactions which lead to cervical ripening and uterine contractions.

Unless there is an obvious health situation, like pre-eclampsia or baby not doing well inside, the doctor really can't predict what will happen to you and your baby if you don't deliver before your due date. But from what I've read, it's important to let the baby take the lead.

Stuff about the baby getting too big, or stretching your scar to the rupture point is wild speculation on the doctor's part. Mostly it's them trying to limit their liability. They don't get sued for taking a baby by c/s too early, AFAIK.

As far as doing squats and pelvic rotations etc., these are beneficial for helping baby get into a favorable birthing position. These can help at any time, and do not influence timing of the onset of labor, since that's hormonal.

DTD is hormonal, so that can influence things once baby is ready. Again, from what I've read, even if you do stuff like nipple stim and DTD, EPR, if the baby hasn't secreted its lung protein or whatever it is, these are unlikely to initiate labor too early- in normal circumstances. To be safe wait til close to due date.

Best wishes- let us know how it goes with your doctor and if he's willing to let baby say when she's ready.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 6:08pm

You are in no means barging in. I am open for any and all suggestions anyone can give for a happy and healthy pregnancy, labor, birth, and baby. I prefer that this baby not be born before she is ready, around 39 weeks plus. I have had two babies and have never left the hospital with one. My first was a preemie (35 weeks) and my second born at 39 weeks has blood sugar issues. For this reason I want my baby cooking as long as she needs.

I plan on doing squats and rotations for the help with positioning. DD #2 was posterior with her cord around her neck which resulted in her distress leading to my ECS. As far as DTD purposefully to help with labor I am reserving that until at least after 37 weeks. Walking I do when I feel up to it for the health benefits.

Photobucket
Photobucket  
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 8:48pm

I am wondering what it means that you never left the hospital with one of your babies? Has your one-year old been in the hospital her whole life due to blood sugar problems? If that's so, wow. I can't even imagine how stressful that must be. Sorry for my confusion!

Elaine

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 9:13pm

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that I had to leave both

Photobucket  
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 4:46pm
I knew what you meant. One of my more distasteful memories was after being discharged without my preemie, going shopping and having someone politely ask "Do you have children?" and for a moment being completely confused how to answer.
Cthulu Crochet

Cthulu Crochet