Back for more advice!!!

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-02-2007
Back for more advice!!!
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 3:11pm

OK I have posted her before but its been a while. I am 23 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first ended up being a c-sec after 15 hours of labor and an hour and a half of pushing with no progress from the baby. My DD's head began to swell and my bladder swelled from the pushing and the decision was made to go for the vbac. They also told me the famous like that my pelvis is small.

This time around I discussed vbac with my drs office. There are several different drs in the practice. Some are supportive but others I feel are pushing for me to do the rcs. At my last appt on Jan 25 the dr actually asked me if I had made my decision yet on what I want to do. Well no I havent made my decision yet since I thought we discussed that we wanted to wait until I got a little closer to due date to make the decision. Then she went to my chart and mention that because I had fibroid with dd that might have partially been the cause of my c-sec and that it would greatly hurt my chances this time of a successful vbac if a fibroid is present again. We had no idea a fibroid was even present with dd until the c-sec and with my 3 u/s I have had so far there has been no mention of one this time.
With DD I went into labor on my own at 37 weeks so my thought is that I will go into labor this time on my own probably a little early as well. My office doesn't schedule c-sec until the Tuesday before your due date. My due date is June 6 so if I end up scheduling a c-sec it would be scheduled on June 1st.
I guess I am just looking for some thoughts on my situation. What would you do? How would you handle the "dr" pushing for a rcs. I want to make the decision on my own opposed to feeling pressured into something. I think the one dr is trying to scare me into the rcs. Personally I dont want the extra recovery time of a rcs with a 2.5 year old running around at home.
I feel that the circumstance of my first labor were a little unusual and that the statement that I have a small pelvic opening in just a random statement they use when they really dont know what caused the situation.

Oct Siggy

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-18-2009
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 4:39pm

Hi Aimee,

I agree that you probably don't have a too small pelvis.


iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-1998
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 4:52pm
I followed a link to a link to a link (and I'm sorry about losing it) to a wonderful article about a lady who managed to change her doctor's mind. It may have been off the ican ( site; it may have been from an article about "bait & switch" VBAC tactics. I'll suggest looking for that.
Cthulu Crochet

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-13-2009
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 5:01pm

First off, {{{{{{HUGS}}}}} it sounds as though your first experience was not what you were looking forward too but know that there is healing for that experience.

Second, let me start by saying, I am bias and please keep that in mind as I respond. The recovery time with a c/s sucks for me and it is very painful so I would like to avoid it if possible. For others it's not a big deal and I will say the second one is a bit better, but for me not a whole lot. I'm not sure what to say about the fibroids, as I've never had them, and the small pelvis thing, I'm not sure about that one either. Though I will say that they like to be able to give an explanation for what happened and I have been outright lied to about medical things in the past so I wouldn't take their word for it necessarily. IMHO, you've best bet is to look into finding a Dr. that will look at your record and give you an honest assessment of your chances for a VBAC, this of course means finding someone who is pro VBAC to begin with and not just saying, "yeah, I'll do it if you push for it and everything goes as I want it to." It can be tricky but there is a web site, I'm sure someone will post for you, which tells you who really is supportive of VBAC's in your area. You can always find support, whatever your decision, here. Best wishes, one other thought, deciding early on may give you more peace during your pregnancy and if you decide to attempt a VBAC it will give you a chance to prepare. Bradley and other classes are a great way to learn about your body, your options and how to give yourself the best chance of VBAC possible, should you decide to go that route. Don't ever be afraid to question what you don't understand, it is your baby, your body and you deserve to understand the risks and make an educated choice that will result in healthy mommy/ healthy baby.

Hugs and Angel Kisses,

Hugs and Angel Kisses, Theresa Lilypie First Birthday tickers