Getting a second opinion

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-07-2007
Getting a second opinion
11
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 10:21pm
I lurked and might have posted here back when I was pg with my dd in 2008/2009, I had wanted a vbac but due to my doc and hopsital's policy I had a repeat c, I didn't know when I chose that particular hospital that there were all out bans and de facto bans on vbacs. I had a great recovery from that section and had no complications in my 1st and 2nd pregnancy. My MW and surgeon were supportive and I trust them very much. That being said I am now 23 weeks pg with my 3rd, and given the changes in ACOG's vbac guidelines I have decided to seek a 2nd opinion to see if there is a reasonable opportunity for me to try a vbac2c. I have been on ICAN and I know where I'm going to go for a consultation, I am going to get my records sent there so the doctors can review them. I'm very scared and confused I'm still undecided as to what we will do if the give me the green light for TOL. Are there any questions I should ask specifically about their policies and procedures. I know I have some adhesions from my first c/s that prevented the surgeon from taking my uterus out to massage it he had to do it while it was still inside, would that be a reason not to be able to vbac?? I feel like I'm just rambling but I don't really know what to ask, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
pregnancy due date

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-07-2007
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 10:28pm
Forgot to mention that 1st c/s was due to frank breech position, didn't have enough fluid for ecv, so I had a scheduled section at 39 wks 6 days no complication for pregnancy or delivery, second was an "elective" repeat at 39 wks, again uncomplicated pregnancy and no complications for delivery or recovery. I have never labored, but I did loose part of mucus plug at 38 weeks with 1st pg and had false labor with 2nd.
pregnancy due date
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-1998
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 8:29am

Questions to ask:

  • "How many weeks would you let me go before you want to either induce or c-section" (Ideal andswer: as many as you need to, if there's not problem. Bad answer: any number less than 42.)
  • "Would you induce/augment labor for any reason?" (No ideal answer; depends on your comfort with induction)/augmentation.)
  • If you did induce/augment labor, how would it be done (Rotten answer: cytotec; Bad answer; some kind of uterus ripening gel; Best answer: very small doese of pitocin, turning down once a good pattern is established)
  • "What if my baby is too large"? (Ideal answer "So what?")
  • Would you be amenable to working with a doula? (Ideal answer, "Sure, I have some names if you want", Bad answer "No. I'm in charge of the delivery")
  • "What if I want to go Natural" (Ideal answer: "Many of my patients do; I encourage it and here are some names". Rotten answers : Don't be silly. You wouldn't have a tooth pulled without anesthetic. You'd never succeed. It will be very painful")

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-07-2007
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 11:29am

Thanks!

pregnancy due date
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-10-2007
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 1:29pm

Hi...what a coincidence...I logged on today to ask the very same question!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-07-2007
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 3:51pm
HEY!!! I was wondering if I would run into anyone from the March EC. I loved the pp too. I'm also feeling pre-guilt about the what-ifs but IDK there is something inside of me that is telling me that this is the way i should go.
pregnancy due date
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-10-2007
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 10:16pm

I know I know I know...I can't explain it either...it didn't seem right for Oli's pg but this time around it seems like the way to go...here's to hoping we can both make it happen!!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-1998
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 10:35pm

Kiwi-pumpkin -- a word about your situation, as compared to what mine was. I had the first kid at 34 weeks by c-section due to HELLP (a form of PIH). There was no attempt at induction, and I've never been sure whether it was because I was in too bad a way to take the time, or because there was little attempt of success at that time, with nary a sign of labor starting on its own. Also, the doctor didn't tell me I was in trouble; I walked into ER on her day off saying something wasn't right.

The second child was an absolutely normal labor (and a child healthier than the one night-shift nurse had ever seen before), at about 3 days after the earliest estimated due date. (3 estimates spanning 5 days). I believe in listening to instincts; the second time everything was saying "all systems go".

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-07-2007
Mon, 11-21-2011 - 4:19am
YES!!!! Hope we are both able to get that VBAC!!!!!
pregnancy due date
Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Mon, 11-21-2011 - 10:03am
Ask the dr how many successful vbacs he's done.

Ask the dr if your care during labor would be any different than a woman who'd never had a c/s (answer should be no)

HTH.

Rose

Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Mon, 11-21-2011 - 10:10am
Donna,

Welcome to the group! Since you don't feel comfortable asking your dr, you may want to call your hospital and ask the L&D nurses if your dr does a lot of vbacs. If she doesn't, ask the L&D nurses which drs do vbacs. If anyone knows which drs in your area actually does vbacs (vs. just saying they do and then convincing you to rcs in the end), it's the nurses who work with the drs!

Rose

Pages