Hello New hopeful VBAC 10/22

iVillage Member
Hello New hopeful VBAC 10/22
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 8:48pm
Hello All,

I am pg with #2 due 10/22. I am about 11.5 weeks right now but told new midwife I am 10.5. I have my first appt. with the new midwife (CNM) Friday 4/4. Will have to deliver at the hosp. not at home like we wanted. The DEM I had was not very emotionally supportive about my anger and resentment over my c/s. She pretty much "dropped" me so I had to scramble to find another care provider. I told her that her uncomfortable feelings about my past experience led me to believe that she was not comfortable in her abilities as a midwife with my vbac! I also told her that if she could not handle it now then how would she handle me when I really need her like when I am in labor?! I always thought of DEMs as even more supportive, especially with vbac clients. Aparently not this one! Man, I just could NEVER recommend her to any of my buddies, vbac or not!

Hopefully I will be better able to "work over" this new CNM. I really don't want to have to be kniving but, I feel like I have to lie,cheat,steal and fight tooth and nail to get this VBAC. I'm sure you ladies know what I mean about that!

How should I be thinking about my new strategy or game plan this time with the CNM? She says the vbac climate has chilled out since last year (NEJM study thing) here where we live now so everything should be ok. I just have a really hard time trusting any of them right now. I really don't want to "scare" her away either even though she seemed more non-chalant about my past issues than the DEM.

I left another c/s/vbac list because I want to surround myself with more positive people who have had vbacs. I think I have found it here.

Please pray that this new midwife will care about me in the way that I need her to!

Type to you soon.

M~

DD scheduled no labor c/s 04/27/01 for 10.2 breech

#2 due 10/22 hopeful hosp. vbac with CNM

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 5:16pm
M,

I'm glad you decided to give us a look! I definitely feel that the ladies here are very supportive of VBAC.

Your situation sounds like mine for the c/s - breech baby with the c/s scheduled. I did have OBs willing to let me try a vaginal breech delivery, but the one OB's honest description of how it'd go had me opt for the c/s. Now, I sometimes wonder if it was the best thing to do, but I can't change it.

As far as direct entry midwives, I have heard of some who will NOT take VBAC patients because of the increased risk of uterine rupture. And, there are others who will. Certified nurse midwives can be a wonderful compromise between the DEM and OB. That's what I did with my VBAC baby and am doing with this one as well.

I would go with some questions for the CNM about the 'policies' they use for VBAC patients. And, ask how they treat someone post the estimated due date. Unfortunately, there are some who are more medical oriented like the OBs and some who have their hands tied by the OBs providing oversight. But, you might be able to get an idea of what's negotiable ahead of time. The CNM who attended me during labor had been quite adament that I'd need continual monitoring, but when I got to the hospital my doula helped me convince her I just needed intermittent monitoring. Though, she got her wish when I got the epidural at 6 cm! And, keep in mind that while you can refuse any intervention they offer while you possess your faculties, you probably don't want to use a provider who's really bent towards procedures, etc. that are counter to your wishes.

Another suggestion is to find a local ICAN group (if there is one) to help finalize any anger and resentment left from your c/s. I didn't think I had any left, but find some things still popping up even now after a successful VBAC. The meetings are supposed to have time to talk through birth experiences and help you to heal. There are several midwives who are convinced that our emotional state can significantly affect our labor and delivery.

If you haven't already started doing research on VBACs, then take some time to visit the FAQ/ Who's Who board for suggested reading and links to sites of interest. I strongly believe that we need to educate ourselves about VBAC and birth in general to travel the road towards a VBAC. Unfortunately, the healthcare practicioners we employ do not always have the time or inclination to stay up to date on the research to make evidence based decisions. Something to think about.

Laura, Mom to Patrick (5yo, breech c/s), Rory (2yo, posterior VBAC), and ??? edd 9/3

Laura

Mom to Patrick (9/97; breech c/s), Rory (8/00; posterior VBAC), and Dominic (8/03; super w

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 3:42pm
Hi & welcome to the board,

WOW I'm really surprised your DEM was so unsupportive! It can be a real challenge finding a care provider that you're comfortable w/ (no matter if it's a Dr or a midwife). Unfortunately, there are a lot of obstacles thrown at women wanting VBACs, but if you're willing to pursue the care you want, I think you should be able to find it.

I still struggle w/ overcoming my anger, sadness & disappointment over my c-birth. I understand needing to find a care provider who can truly sympathize w/ your feelings & be supportive of your next birth. Surrounding yourself supportive people is really key IMO.

Good Luck!

Fran ds 21 mos (posterior c-birth) edd 6/19