I got my VBAC!! - Nicholas Michael's arrival

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-18-2007
I got my VBAC!! - Nicholas Michael's arrival
Sun, 02-06-2011 - 4:04am

Short story - Nicholas Michael arrived by VBAC at 14:02 on 30 January, 2011 weighing in at a respectable 8lb 10oz.

Long story - Sunday morning, around 4am, I woke up needing to pee. I was feeling very crampy, like my period was in full swing. Also, the water that had been leaking for two days had started getting a pink tinge and I was having some mucous discharge. I decided to see if I could do something with it, so went downstairs and started bouncing on the birthing ball. Within a hour, I needed a bit of help (or company, not sure which) to get through the contractions. I went upstairs and woke Matt up. The most comfortable position I could find was to sit on my heels and bend over, putting my head on Matt's chest, as he was still laying in bed. I was already becoming vocal with the contactions. Things were definitely moving! About 6:30, Annalise woke up. Immediately, I was struggling. I managed to get her up and give her some breakfast and a 'hot' chocolate. Contractions were very difficult now. I made Matt get up and called Tina to come over. I was also trying to eat something, as I was starving and didn't know how long it would take for labour to last, so wanted to make the most of my appetite while I could. Matt made me some toast, while Tina was helping me get through the contractions. At 7am, Tina said she thought we should make our way to the hospital before contractions were so horrible that it would make the car ride unbearable. So, with some help, I managed to get some clothes on and into the car. Matt stayed home with Annalise, as was the plan.
Made it to the hospital around 7:30-ish? Called them on the way, as we forgot to do it before we left. Contractions were still coming quickly, but the intensity slowed down when we got there, which was expected. They put me on the monitor. Nicholas heart rate was perfect, contractions were coming every 3 minutes. After 30-ish minutes, it was time for the vaginal exam (my first and only one the entire pregnancy). I was approximately 50% effaced and 1-2cm dilated. I was a bit deflated, but still happy that things were finally moving. Tina was very surprised, as I was showing signs of being a lot further along. We decided to go home, as I really didn't want to be labouring in the hospital, if I didn't have to, and it looked like it was going to be a while.
The vaginal exam seemed to do something, as the minute we left the room, contractions stepped up and were coming every 2-3 minutes and were much more powerful. However, we did manage to get some breakfast from McD's on the way home, as I was still hungry. Oddly enough, as soon as contraction was ending, I felt ravenous. So, we arrived at home with breakfast at approximately 10am. Tina went home, as it was her birthday and her family had all of her presents waiting for her. She did say to call her the minute I thought I needed her. She also suggested we sent Annalise with someone, if at all possible, as it would be difficult for me to labour with a toddler in the house. She was right. In the time we waiting for Andreas (my brother in law) to come pick her up, I was at the point that I couldn't handle listening to her call for me (I had gotten into a bath immediately and tried to eat my sausage bagel in there - only managed half before I couldn't stand eating anymore). I hated hearing her call for me 'Mummy, come down now!', as I really wanted to be with her, but I couldn't handle listening to her cry for me. As soon as she left, contractions took another step up and was having to be very vocal with them. I heard about how a lot of women say they would make these primal grunts and groans and that's exactly what I had to do to get through the contractions.
After about 10 contractions in the bath, I was getting too hot and getting no relief, but also couldn't get out. I drained the water and waited until I was cool enough to move, as I was starting to feel sick and sweaty. Annalise had only just left and Matt was sorting something out downstairs. When he came back up, I had finally managed to get out of the bath and was standing in the bathroom, soaking wet and naked. I had to kneel down to get through the contractions, so Matt got some incontinence pads and put them on the floor underneath me.I had to pee, but couldn't stand the thought of sitting down, so I peed while crouching on the floor - it felt very strange. Bless Matt, as he was so wonderful in helping to clean me up. I managed a few more contractions there, before I made my way downstairs, kneeling on the floor and leaning on the couch - still naked. Poor Matt, I was ordering him around to do things, but then telling him not to leave me. I could hear myself being unreasonable, but couldn't stop myself. He handled it beautifully, though.
By 11:30, I was losing it and couldn't handle the contractions anymore. Matt called Tina back (she only had enough time at home to open her presents before I called - it was her birthday). She told me later she thought it was Matt being a whimp since it had only been an hour since she left, but came over anyway. It took her 10 minutes to get there. She said she could tell that I was in transition already, as I was exhibiting classic signs ('I can't do this', crying through contractions, screaming, etc). She suggested we leave right away. There was one problem. Tina would be driving and I would be in the back seat - alone, having contractions every 1-2 minutes. Immediately, I told Matt he had to come. He was very obedient. Thank goodness he did! There is no way I could have gotten through this delivery without him.
The drive to the hospital was excruciating. With Matt and Tina's reminders to breathe through the contractions, I managed to get there without dying. Tina later told me she was going 98mph down the motorway, as she could hear me start grunting at the end of the contractions. We arrived at the hospital. I got out of the car and had a contraction. Made it into the door (15 feet away) and had another contraction. I remember Matt telling someone, 'no, I can't get out of your way, my wife is having a contraction.' Made it into the elevator (another 15 feet) and had another contraction. This continued the entire 25 yards to the delivery room. I felt so relieved to see that bed and immediately climbed up on top and to the head, still kneeling, leaning over the head of the bed. I don't remember what time it was, though I was told it was between 12:45 and 1pm. I remember Tina saying who my midwife was, Sally, and that she was the best one at the hospital. Then I heard people saying 'Good job, push into your heels'. I was thinking 'What? Push? No, I'm just having contractions! I just need to poo!' I really was just trying to poop, as I knew it would feel better if I did.
All of the sudden, I've got a doctor in the room trying to tell me the risks of VBAC, whilst I was pushing.Tina tried to tell her that I was aware of the risks, but the dr said she had to tell me. I tried to listen, but after one more contraction, I couldn't stand listening to her voice. I don't remember what I said, but DH said I shouted at her to go away and for someone to get her out of the room, that her voice was really annoying me. DH finally said for her to please leave, that she wasn't helping. She left at that point, thank goodness! Matt later told me that someone had taken her out of the room and that she looked quite annoyed.
I pushed a bit more, leaning over the top of the bed and around Matt's neck (almost strangled him), and then someone suggested I lay on my left side. I managed, with help, to get there. All of the sudden, the pushing stepped up a million times! I could start to feel Nicholas moving down. Then -the ring of fire. Oh my gosh!! Ouch!! I kept trying to push through it, even though it really, really hurt. I got to a point when they were telling me they could see so much of his head (using their hands to show the area of head visible) and that I was almost there. Then they were telling me to do little pushes. I remember thinking, 'How in the he-- am I supposed to do that?' I really did try, but the urge to push as hard as I could was overwhelming. It seemed like the very next push, Nicholas was out and they were telling me to pick him up. It felt like he just kind of dribbled out, strange feeling. However, what I felt next was amazing. The pain was gone and I had this absolutely gorgeous baby in my arms. They told me I did tear, which I expected and was okay with.

I had a few fears of how I might feel, being the mum of a little boy, wondering how I could love something as much as I love Annalise and Bethany. All of my fears were put to rest immediately. And looking into Matt's face, I loved him even more.
And, something else almost as important as the love for my family, I had achieved what I'd been wanting since Annalise's birth - a natural, normal birth without medical help (other than the midwives makikng sure everything was fine). It is very healing for me to know that I did it, that my body isn't broken. Also, I am incredibly grateful that Matt was there. I could not have done it without him. I know he thinks he didn't do much, but hold my hand, but that's exactly what I needed from him. I find a lot of strength and comfort from him, just from him being near me. He made me feel safe during labour and delivery, and even afterwards.
After about 30 minutes, Nicholas started showing an interest in nursing. He nursed for 15 minutes. I still hadn't passed the placenta, yet. I got up to use the toilet and then managed to deliver the placenta. According to Tina, I had the biggest placenta in the world. I can't say I have anything to compare it with, but it did fill the entire container they used to catch it.
I did have second degree tears. Funnily, it was the doctor I yelled at that did the stitching up. I did apologise for yelling, but later wished I wouldn't have, as she does not have a great bedside manner. After everything had settled down, we'd all had cuddles and I had been stitched up (apparently, I was quite funny, as I was sucking heavily on the gas and air during the stitching. Tina said I was funnier than a really happy drunk) Tina took Matt home to get our car and Annalise, so Annalise could meet Nicholas.

Unfortunately, I had a PPH and ended up staying in hospital for 3 days. I am alright, but lost 4 pints of blood. I narrowly avoided a transfusion and am now home on bed rest for at least 3 weeks, while my blood supply builds back up. I am upset with the dr (same one I yelled at), as she basically said it was my fault that I had a PPH because I had a physiological third stage instead of managed with syntrometrine. She also scared Matt as he showed up back at the hospital just in time to see me, before I was put under GA to remove the clots - she told him all the possibilities that might cause it and that it was serious and then just walked away. I think we might put in a complaint with the hospital.

Anyway, I've been home for 4 days and trying really hard to take it easy. Matt has been wonderful in telling me to do as little as possible and has really stepped up with cleaning and cooking. I Love that man.

Love Megs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Congratulations on your new baby! I'm glad you had such a wonderful birth experience and that someone got the dr out of your room for you. I also have that overwhelming urge to push. A small push is not something I'm capable of. LOL. I am sorry you had pph. I hope you recover quickly. Enjoy Nicholas! Thank you for sharing your birth story with us!


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-20-2011

Congratulations on your successful VBAC! It gives those of us trying more hope, to see yet another successful story! I've had

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-28-2005

Congratulations! Welcome Nicholas! That sounds like a great birth experience. What a wonderful husband you have too. I'm glad to hear you are both doing so well!

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-16-2007
Congrats! I do know that feeling of healing that a VBAC can bring..... I have experienced that myself. Welcome to the world, Nicholas!

Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends