Need Advice!

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-30-2011
Need Advice!
7
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 8:22pm

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first child is 2 years old and was delivered by emergency c-section. When planning my second pregnancy I wanted to go for a VBAC so I found a good doctor and got set up to do it that way but now I'm having second thoughts.

I think I've probably changed my mind a thousand times so I wanted to get the perspective from women who have actually made this decision. Though I really wanted to have the regular birthing experience and actually have the chance to remember the birth of my second child, the one percent rupture rate is nagging at the back of my mind. The best advice I've gotten so far was from my doctor. He told me that if in the worst case scenario I was to rupture would I still be okay with the decision I had made, and if I can answer that question with a yes I have no reason not to try a VBAC.

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2003
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 12:10am
You'd have to check the stats, but I'm thinking that the risk of uterine rupture is about the same even if you haven't had a previous c-section. Can't remember where I read that but I know I've seen something about it somewhere... I like your dr's perspective though! I know I'm not much help. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Manda :)

Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 9:22am
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I understand how scary the word rupture is. I was shocked when I found out that rupture doesn't mean your uterus explodes (that's what I thought rupture meant). It means that there is a tear in your uterus. (This can happen with vbac mommas, those who've only had vaginal births, and those who are first time mommas.) Usually, when there is a tear in your uterus, unless you're close to pushing your baby out, you'll most likely need a c/s. There isn't immenent danger to you or your baby. The more c/s you have, the higher your risk for rupture (even if you have planned a c/s), so the amount of children you want should be included in your decision.

I had vaginal births and a c/s, and then a vbac. The recovery was much easier for me. My vaginal birth children didn't have breathing issues like my c/s baby did. My c/s baby spent a lot of time in the hospital after he was born. That, for me, was the critical decision to have a vbac. My vbac baby didn't have any issues.

This is my experience. Please research, talk to your dr (who sounds like he's pro vbac), and do what is best for you and your baby.

Just a thought...I can't imagine how scary an emergency c/s is when you've planned a vaginal birth. Are there issues in your first birth that worry you for this birth? Talk to your dr about the reasons for the first c/s and how you can avoid having an emergency take place this time.

Please let us know what you decide to do and if we can help you in any way.

Rose

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-30-2011
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 5:45pm

Thank you. Those are some really valid points. During my first labor the nurses saw that there was meconium when they broke my water so they needed to rush me to the O.R. so the baby would not breathe it in or he could have had a bunch of respiratory issues. My doctor told me there's no medical reason that would require me to have a c/s the second time around. Just that there was a chance (like there is in any birth) that the baby may need to be a c/s if I have complications again.

Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 6:43pm
It sounds like you're a great candidate for a vbac. Please let us know how you're doing.

Rose

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-12-2004
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 9:24pm

Hi,

I had a hard time thinking about the chance of uterine rupture when I was deciding about VBAC or RCS.

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-18-2007
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 9:40am

I had an emergency section with my first cahild (now 3), after a failed induction. After 20 hours on full strength pitocin, I'd only gotten to 7-8cm. Dr's thought if I were allowed to continue, I would have a hemmorage. Decision made to section. When I got pregnant with my second, I knew I wanted a VBAC and did everything I could to get it. He was born VBAC 6 months ago. I definitely think the key to a successful VBAC is education. Know your body, how it works and what you can do to get a VBAC. I can tell you that I felt 100% better after my VBAC than I did with my section. I even had a hemmorage after my VBAC (had a little teeny tiny piece of placenta left, so in no way related to having a VBAC), so I had to recover from that, too. I still felt better than after my section and within a couple of weeks, I felt completely normal again.

I honestly think doctor's use the fear of rupture to get women to have repeat sections. The US is way behind in medical advances with what is safe or not. When all is said and done, the risks of major surgery (which is what a caesarean section is) are higher than the risk of a VBAC. Also, first time mom's have a higher rupture risk on pictocin than a woman who is having a VBAC. (2-3% versus 0.5%). ANother thing when they figure the rupture rate, they include all types of ruptures, including all those that are non-life threatening. And actually, the majority of the ruptures are non-life threatening. Yes, there is a risk of a rupture. There's a risk for everything in having a baby, but when a labour is allowed to proceed as normal (and yes, it is a normal, physiological process that your body was designed to do), very little, if any, intervention is required.

Love Megs


Lilypie Maternity tickers


Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-10-2009
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 11:59pm

I am right there with you.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers