New Here :)

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-06-2007
New Here :)
8
Sun, 06-12-2011 - 2:30pm

Hello everyone! Since my little girl is due in just about 3 months, I decided to come over here for some advice/support. Here is my story so far: DH and I were married 9/8/07. We found out the day we came home from our honeymoon that I was pregnant. Going by my LMP my EDD was 5/26/08. A few months into my pregnancy I switched OBs because we had moved. At every appointment the new OB would ask if I was sure of my LMP, and decided pretty early on to change my due date to 5/19. At the time I let it go, since I was a FTM. As my due date neared, I had no signs of labor. No dialation, no effacing. Nothing. The OB told me that he has a "One and Done" rule...meaning he lets his patients go 1 week past their due date and then he induces. Again, being a FTM and pretty naive about the whole thing, I went with it. My due date came and went, still no baby. I called L&D to set up my induction, and they happened to have an opening on 5/22. So I took it. At 8am I was all set up with pitocin and cervadil. I was contracting, but not progressing. I never even became a fingertip dialated. After almost 9 hours of pitocin, my OB gave me a choice. I could go home and come back in a week, or I could have a c-section. I chose the c-section.

Compared to many stories I have read, I had an easy recovery. It was a lot less painful than I had expected. The hospital and hospital staff were wonderful. I was holding my little boy and breastfeeding him a mere 5 minutes after being stiched up. It wasn't a bad experience, just inexperience that led to surgery that probably shouldn't have happened. At my 6 week PP checkup, my doctor did tell me that he would fully support a VBAC should I want to go that route with the next baby. At the time, I told him he was nuts and we could just do a repeat cs. Well, 3 years later I've had some time to think about it and I've changed my mind. I don't want another csection. There is no way I can recover from that kind of surgery and handle my 3 year old. At my last appointment, I made it clear that I do NOT want to be induced and I do NOT want another csection this time. He said ok, we would start NST around week 38, but again said that the "new rule" is to only let moms go to 41 weeks. I don't think he is lying, he really is a great doctor. I just need some tips on how to have a successful VBAC...and how to avoid being induced a week after my due date. I'm so afraid that I will end up with another csection because I was never "in labor" with DS, and I have this (probaby irrational) fear that my body doesn't know what to do.

Thanks for reading if you are still with me :) Sorry this turned out to be insanely long. I look forward to any advice you ladies can give me.


Powered by CGISpy.com
Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Sun, 06-12-2011 - 4:49pm
Hi Rachael,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to the group! Your dr shouldn't induce you because that could raise your risk of uterine rupture.

Since you know your lmp date, your due date will be more accurate. If you don't go into labor on your own by 41 weeks, you have a couple of options. You could do nst and that sort until you go into labor, you can "induce" using a foley catheter, or you could have a rcs.

Are you planning to have more kids? Most drs don't recommend more than three c/s.

Also, my first two were induced because I was almost 42 weeks. My third was c/sdue to complete placenta previa. My 4th was vbac. I had never gone into labor on my own and didn't think I'd be able to, either. But I did. I gave birth to my vbac baby when I was exactly 42 weeks pg. Some women just bake longer than others. Also, many countries don't consider a baby full term until closer to 42 weeks.

It's great that your dr supports vbacs. Do you think he'll budge on the 41 week rule?

Rose

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-16-2007
Mon, 06-13-2011 - 2:27am
Remember that you have the right to refuse any procedure that you don't want. He can't force you to be induced. You can also look up (or ask) using Evening Primrose Oil pills to help ripen your cervix. And for the record, you WERE in labor with your son, you just didn't GO INTO labor on your own with progression. ;)

I think out of 6 babies, I think I had ONE NST out of all of them.... so I'm not really sure why some doctors do so many. I do understand that fear that your body won't know what to do.... I thought that too after being induced with my first 5 babies... but my 6th and final baby came on her own time!
Good luck!

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-06-2007
Mon, 06-13-2011 - 12:43pm
Thank you for your reply :) I definitely know when this baby was conceived, I was charting, taking progesterone, and clomid. Maybe I'll get lucky and she will *want* to come out, unlike my son....he seemed pretty content to just hang out in there.

We are probably going to have at least one more after this baby, maybe 2. Hopefully I'll be able to VBAC this time just incase something should happen with the next.

I have read that 42 weeks is what many countries/doctors go by...and it makes sense given that they start counting pregnancy from the first day of one's LMP and the average woman doesn't ovulate until day 14....the whole 41 weeks thing just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm pretty happy that he is VBAC friendly. I'm definitely happy with him overall. I'm not sure if he'll budge on 41 weeks, but if I don't show up he won't have a choice lol. He said at my last appointment that we would have to see "how things are going" based on my progress and NSTs as my due date nears.

Thanks again for your reply! I will be sure to update throughout the next 12 weeks :)

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-06-2007
Mon, 06-13-2011 - 12:47pm
Thank you, Tessa! I've "joked" with my husband and a few of the girls at work that when my due date comes and goes and baby girl is not here yet, I'll just be ignoring my dr's calls ;) I will definitely look into Evening Primrose Oil should she want to stay put a while like her brother did. I'm hoping that since I am 100% sure of my dates this time (charting, progesterone and clomid this time around) everything is more accurate. Thanks again for your reply :)

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-20-2006
Wed, 06-15-2011 - 3:33pm

Hey there! I actually recognized your name from our expecting board (i'm due 9/30).

I think all the other responses prett y much sum it up, but I will say that being induced doesn't necessarily mean you'll end up with a c-section. I induced for my VBAC, and was successful. I hope to go naturally this time, but I do know that the pitocin probably helped speed up my labor (still more than 20hrs) and progress beyond my 'stall out' point of 6cm.

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-12-2004
Wed, 06-15-2011 - 8:07pm

Hi!

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-06-2007
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:25am
I had my 34 week appointment yesterday. It went fairly well I suppose. He asked what I wanted to do should I go past my due date. I told him I want to go as close to 42 weeks as possible. We compromised, he said he'd let me go to the "week of" September 14. So if she doesn't arrive sometime between the 14-21 I'll have another c-section. I'm ok with that. It's better than him saying on the 14th you'll need a c-section end of story. He wants to send me for an ultrasound around week 37-38 to get an idea of how big baby girl will be. I'm going with it, but I know these things can be off by at least a pound. So what do I do if he says she's going to be too big? I'm not very confrontational....which could wind up being my downfall here. As he was clicking through his computer he said "Oh, look at that! You're on the schedule for 39 weeks! We'll just leave it for now, pending how the ultrasound comes back. If all is well we'll just take you off. It's easier than taking you off now and trying to put you back on if we need to." I'm a little upset by this. I don't think I could have been "magically" scheduled for a c-section without him putting it there. *sigh* I feel like I'm already being setup to fail. Oh and he went through the whole shoulder dystocia thing, which scared DH. I guess it's just time to suck it up and tell him point blank what I do and do not want.

Sorry if I jumped all over the place, and thanks for reading if you made it through that :)

Powered by CGISpy.com
Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 7:12pm
Rachael,

I'd be upset, too, if the dr decided to keep you on the schedule for 39 weeks. That makes it sound like the dr is still planning to c/s you at 39 weeks. I hope that changes. Let us know what the u/s results are. (By the way, I agree with you about u/s being off on sizes. I was told at my 41 1/2 week u/s that my vbac baby would be 11 pounds at 42 weeks, just days later. She was born vbac at exactly 42 weeks and she weighed only 8.2 pounds. (I'd had two other u/s after my due date and they all estimated her weight to be between 10 1/2 and 11 pounds. LOL).

Let us know what your dr says about your u/s. Good Luck!

Rose