Update: Going for my VBA5C!!!!

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-21-2010
Update: Going for my VBA5C!!!!
8
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 5:07pm

So, I have been considering going for a HBA5C providing I could find someone to attend my birth. And I have been praying like mad!! I decided that if this is something that I was meant to do, than God would open the doors and make it possible for me to have a home birth.

Well, he has opened doors!!!

While my midwife here where I live is unable to attend me, she completely supports me doing it and says I could do it if any one can! She gave me the name of a midwife to check into that she says would be my best bet with my number of sections. (I won't be disclosing her name for legal reasons)

This midwife just happens to live where my parents do, so even though I will have to travel to another province to see her I will be able to stay with my parents. She is completely supportive of me having a home birth and doesn't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to push my baby out! What made it possible for her to attend me is that she did NOT register with the midwife association, which means she doesn't have to follow all the guidelines and restrictions that registered midwives have to follow. However, that does mean, that I would have to pay out of pocket, which would usually be about $3,500 - $4,000. I figured we'd find some way to pay it. But-YAY- she isn't going to charge me anything!!! She is offering me her once a month community birth that she would usually attend. Just one she attends for the good of the community, and she said, considering what I've been through, I get to have that birth!!!

So it looks like, when I get to 39 weeks, I'll make the two day drive out to my parents and wait to have my baby at my parents place!!

I am so excited and relieved by the turn of events. I am so happy that I finally will get a real shot at having a natural delivery!

My goal now: Grow a healthy baby and get out to my parents place before going into labour!

Please pray that I have a healthy pregnancy and that all goes well! Baby doesn't arrive until the end of February, so I have a ways to go yet, but the more prayers the better!!

Thea

Mom to 5 Kiddos
Kalilah (9)
Maia (7)
Magnus (5)
Tegan (3)
Evelyn (22 Months)
And Expecting Baby 6 !! Due February 2011





Thea

Mom to 5 Kiddos
Kalilah (9)
Maia (7)
Magnus (5)
Tegan (3)
Evelyn (22 Months)
And Expecting Baby 6 !! Due February 2011





iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-1998
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 11:35pm
You have my prayers, for sure. There's an old hymn with the repeating refrain "Grant us wisdom/Grant us courage" May you have both in ample measure.
Cthulu Crochet



Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-18-2009
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 12:02am
I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Rose 


iVillage Member
Registered: 07-13-2009
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 9:48pm

Hi My Dear,
Just wanted to offer some encouragement and my experience for you to hopefully gain from. I had a successful VBA3C in Feb. and am so happy that I did. My first was twins and getting them out was an emergency, no real labor, my second was a failed VBAC thanks to my total lack of real knowledge and support (if you want the story let me know, otherwise I won't bore you) and the third was scheduled because I had NO idea anyone EVER attempted a VBAC after more than one CS.

When I got pregnant for the forth time I looked around online, just curious, and not only did I find a compilation of studies that basically stated that your risk of rupture VBACing after 2 or 3 CS is only minutely greater than after 1, and the percentage is minuscule to begin with. I also found the Bradley method info and ended up calling a local instructor with my situation, to get an opinion, which led me to take the class, learned all I could, hired my instructor as a Doula and found the only Dr. in town who would support me, in my original Dr's practice no less, lol. What sealed my decision was that the risks of infection and complication are much higher with a CS than the risks of rupture with a vag delivery. But it seems that, for the immediate future, doctors like to have control and hospitals want as close to 0 risk of fetal death as possible.

Very long story short, after six months of hearing from every medical person I ran into that I was certainly going to die and basically that I was stupid and was putting my baby in grave danger, I successfully gave birth to my beautiful daughter vaginally- 8 lbs 4oz, Feb 17th (11 days over due). I labored (Real labor)from about 1am on the 16th until 10pm on the 16th, on about 2 hours of sleep and with baby in a BAD position, at home I walked stairs, used the birthing ball, the whirlpool tub, you name it, I did it to get baby's nose out of my hip- but she wouldn't budge. At 10pm I was done and we went to the hospital. After watching me for an hour (I was only a 5 after all that pain and back labor) Dr. suggested breaking my waters. After that it was over for me, I nearly blacked out with every contraction and could not breath despite all my training and all the support I had. I had had almost no sleep in 48 hours and I asked for the epi, feeling as though that was the beginning of the end. But low and behold, as the pain subsided I relaxed and labored her down, going from a 5 to an 8 in 30 min, complete after an hour but they let me rest a little while, after which they turned her, the little twerp though she would go sunny side up at that point but the Dr. wouldn't let her and I began to push, one hour later there she was. I would have been in tact also but stupid resident (same one who came in and asked if my doctor told me that my baby could die if I attempt a natural birth, when I met her after check in) told me to stop pushing after her head was out to clear her mouth and instead of having me push, while she turned her out, as her shoulder was turned funny, she just pulled her out and I tore in two places (no her shoulders weren't wider than her head, she just screwed up) If a lawsuit could have fixed the stitches I would have sued the hospital but it couldn't so, oh well. I really wanted it all- a completely natural birth, pain and all, with my perineum in tact- but though that didn't happen it was close enough to make me ecstatic and I got to miss out on the "can't do much but sit here" depression I would fall into after my CS's.

Curious about your decision to HB though, there still is a risk of rupture and in that case your best chance of a good outcome in an immediate (as in a matter of minutes) CS. I don't mean to sound discouraging, I had enough of that myself, but as I told my doctor in our first and in one of our last appointments before the birth, I'm not crazy, I just want a chance to try and do things my way, with good advice, good care and genuine support. You have my prayers and I hope you keep coming her for support.
Sorry that was so super long, I just don't get the chance to share with people that have been where I have been...and I'm still kind of on the high of having a normal birth:-) Best wishes for a great pregnancy and beautiful birth!!

Hugs and Angel Kisses,
Theresa

Lilypie First Birthday tickers


Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Hugs and Angel Kisses, Theresa Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-21-2010
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 1:22am

Thank you Theresa for taking the time to reply! I actually love it when a simple reply becomes a story of one's trials and triumphs, of course, particularly about births. If you have the time, I actually wouldn't mind hearing about your failed VBAC attempt. Of my 5 sections, 3 of them were VBAC attempts. All failing for various reasons. I too experienced a nurse telling me my baby could die, in the midst of labour, while she was attempting go AGAINST my OB's instructions, and then questioning me if I actually loved my baby, because if I did I would be doing what she told me to do!

To your question of my decision to homebirth, I will not get the chance to VBAC if I go to the hospital, even with support. My own mind works against me and I have learned that I can NOT labour in the hospital. Something about the environment negatively affects me and my labour slows and almost stops even if I have made it to the last few cm's of dilation...and in a hospital, I would not be able to labour more than 24 hours. Time and pressure have always been my worst enemies.....

So, I have decided, that in order to really get a chance to birth naturally, I must birth at home. I am putting my health and well being and that of my baby in God's hands. I have been doing my research and the most favourable bit of information I have come across is a study done recently showing that the risk of rupture and complications happening is higher for women with more than one previous section, but that the rate of complications did NOT decrease by having a hospital birth. Basically, no matter what, I am at risk. But regardless of where I give birth, my risk of having something bad happen is the same. And as I know that my chances of having a successful birth are pretty much nil in a hospital setting, my best bet is to be at home. I am also taking all the steps I can to keep my self healthy, my baby healthy, and I have learned (and will be refreshing my memory) on what I can do to encourage baby to be in the optimal position for delivery, along with reading as much positive material as I can about birth!

So many things are pointing in my favour to have a successful birth and God has been making it possible every step of the way: from finding a midwife who will attend me, to having her close to my parents' place so, even though I have to travel to have her attend me, I will still be in a place of comfort and familiarity, and having the fee of a midwife a non issue....I could go on.

I am very positive about this upcoming birth!!! :D

Thank you again for sharing your birth story with me and for any and all prayers you say for me!!!

Thea

Mom to 5 Kiddos
Kalilah (9)
Maia (7)
Magnus (5)
Tegan (3)
Evelyn (22 Months)
And Expecting Baby 6 !! Due February 2011





Thea

Mom to 5 Kiddos
Kalilah (9)
Maia (7)
Magnus (5)
Tegan (3)
Evelyn (22 Months)
And Expecting Baby 6 !! Due February 2011





iVillage Member
Registered: 07-13-2009
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 3:15pm

My first failed VBAC attempt was due, in the end, to fetal decels. My Dr. had said that he would support a VBAC but that he would be happy to schedule another CS if I wanted. At the time I had no idea about supportive v. unsupportive who say that they are. The only thing I "thought" I knew at the time, based on the experiences of my friends and mother (who had 2 VBAC's) was that a Dr. would rather you deliver naturally and when I had the first CS the Dr. stated, "I did your CS in such a way (don't remember the exact wording) that if you want more kids, you'll be able to have them naturally." So I just thought VBAC's were the norm, I know, VERY naive.

Basically, I was in labor (I consider labor being when you can't sleep in between the regular contractions anymore) from about 1am till 4pm- I went to the store, did a few other things and labored with my hubby. I really didn't want to be sent home when I got to the hospital so I waited several hours and went in. If I had known anything I would have had a doula and waited A LOT longer to go in.

When I got the hospital I was a 4 and after an hour a 5, so they kept me, I think my Dr. had told them not to let me leave anyway. I was so excited and the resident told me I was going fast but when they admitted me I was hooked up to monitors and got an IV, I knew that wasn't good, just based on the hospital birthing classes I had had, but I had no idea I could ask for anything different or that the hospital and their staff don't always do what is best or even conducive to a natural birth experience. So I labored in bed and after a couple of hours I wasn't doing a whole lot, I think I was like a 5.5 and the resident said, let's break your water and get things moving, I was sooooo excited and didn't know that wasn't a great idea, I needed time to labor and at that point had only even been in the hospital about 4 hours.

Then the nurse added, if they are going to break your waters you need that epi, because even though you are doing well now, you just won't be able to handle the extra pain after. So I, again thinking that the people who birth babies ever day know what is going to work, said ok, since I was then scared.

So I got the epi at 9pm and the resident broke my water but they my regular but tolerable contractions stopped. In comes the pit, I sleep off and on and they get my contractions where they want them but then at the tail of my contractions baby's heart rate was dropping and Dr. was getting concerned, especially since I wasn't dilating very fast, baby wasn't dropping and my water at been broken a whole 6 hours, please.

Anyhow, at 3am, they said that a RCS would be best and I was sobbing, DS was out when the Dr. came in at 5am. There were also complications (the details of which, I'm not sure I believe, since all the awful things they said would happen if I got preg and had another child, did NOT happen) that required stitches in my bladder and a round on internal bleeding (now that's pain), it was a nightmare, as were all three of my CS recoveries. Did I really need it, I will never know, but I sure know there was a lot I could have done differently that, if it was possible, it would have happened. That was a sad birth experience for me and I had a scheduled CS with my DD because I had no idea I could try again.

This last birth was not perfect but very healing for me and I was so happy to experience labor and a vaginal delivery. Hope this post helps anyone who reads it. I recommend- education, education, education, support and advocacy.

Best wishes to you again! Keeping the prayers coming:-)

Hugs and Angel Kisses,
Theresa

Lilypie First Birthday tickers


Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Hugs and Angel Kisses, Theresa Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2011
Thu, 02-24-2011 - 9:43pm

Hi,

Just wondering how you are doing? I've had 5 c-sections and am pregnant with #6 due 4th June 2011. I have to have my c/s booked in 2 weeks early for about the 20th May.

Hubby and I have been through so much with my last pregnancy, really trusting God for a VBAC. I did go into labour (never had before) and after 11hrs, no dilation and head still high had another c/s. It all worked out for good and God definitely

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-16-2007
Fri, 04-01-2011 - 2:21pm
Thea---- how did everything turn out? Update us please if you can!!! :)

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends
Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Sun, 04-03-2011 - 2:56pm

I've also been wondering how your birth went.

Rose