Surery update

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-22-2009
Surery update
Tue, 09-17-2013 - 8:27am

Long day yesterday. If there were an award for family there the longest we would have won it.  We got there about 7:30 a.m. and left at 8:30 p.m.

Stephanie had to be there about 7;30.  After some prep about 11:45 they wheeled her into surgery.  The first part of the surgery, the mastectomy and port removal took about 2.5 hours.  The doctor said that everything went as expected, no surprises.  No indication of cancer but the tissue and the lymph node he removed will be sent for testing, will get the results next week.

The second surgery, the reconstuction, also took about 2.5 hours. Again everything went well.  He had a lot of praise for the other surgeon, "My job is easy becaue he is so good" which made up feel good.

After being in recovery  for 2-2.5 hours about 7:30 they took her up to her room where we were able to see her,   She was in pain but alert and able to have conversation.  But I do not know what she will remember today.   When DH and I left her sisters and her boyfriend were still there.  I think that he was planning on spending the night unless they kicked him out.

When she will be coming home will be day to day. It could be today.  We will know after the doctor sees her.

Avatar for nora_mcl
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-30-2011
Tue, 09-17-2013 - 9:01am

Sounds good, 'nester.

Hopefully you will get her home to Mom's cooking & easier rest today or tomorrow at the latest. Hospitals are not a good place to try to recuperate in-too noisy, too many sick people & too many people checking up on you. Tell her there are lots of people sending their best wishes to her-including this Canadian lady.


Avatar for suzyk2118
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-30-1997
Tue, 09-17-2013 - 7:48pm

and me too!  Sounds like it went well - hoping for a speedy recovery.


Avatar for elc11
Community Leader
Registered: 06-16-1998
Wed, 09-18-2013 - 4:30pm

Thanks for the update. Good news that everything went well. Keep us posted.