TGIF 5/28 Coffee House Chat

iVillage Member
TGIF 5/28 Coffee House Chat
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 8:47am

Its FRIDAY!

Check in here and let us know what you have planned for today and the weekend!

Photobucket

belizesig1
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 8:56am

Ugh. Just paid $1332 in bills. Tat was basically 1/2 dh's paycheck.
Amazing to me to have that much in just bills (utilities, cell, cable, etc. and not even ALL our monthly bills, just the ones due - didn't include water, gas or gym) when we have no mortgage and no car payments. Is that normal? If we had a mortgage and car payments we wouldn't even survive and my husband makes over 100K a year. How do people do it???

Then $488 is due today for my summer class. Have to go pay that in person though because the computer system can't separate my summer from fall classes.

So today - quick bike ride, home to shower, then have to go make my school payment, do a couple errands, then get my hair cut at 1:00.

This weekend:

Saturday - cleaning and yardwork. Need to get the guest room ready for my dad.
Sunday - leave for Austin! We'll arrive around lunch, pick up my race packet, check in my bike, then check in at the hotel. Sightsee a bit maybe, around the capital and stuff. We're going to go to dinner out on Lake Travis, then go see the
bats fly out from under the bridge.
Monday - Check in for my race at 7:00am, I start at 9:30. Should be done by 11:30 at the latest, collect my gear, have lunch - depending how I feel we may stick around Austin or head straight home.

Photobucket

belizesig1

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 11:41am

Well two more weekends till school starts back up for me. I was hoping to enjoy the three day weekend but looks like I will be heading to my grandparents for a visit. Gpa had a stroke and a lot of stuff is up in the air. Gpa is in a rehab but my gma has dementia so we have to figure out what it is we are going to do. It is so complicated, I wish I had the answers.

If the grandparents were not doing so bad i would have cleaned and organized on Saturday because I totally need to do that and Sunday would have been a bbq.

Not sure if I will be back Sunday or Monday but either way traveling w/ my 14 month old for 9 hrs round trip is never funa nd leaves me worn out.

Everyone have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

Amber

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 3:45pm

TGIF!

Michael Ann - Good luck on your race!!! Is this another tri? You amaze me!

Amber - I'm so sorry about your gpa, hope you & your family are able to come up with a plan.

Stephanie

Mom to DD16, DD10 & DS8

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 6:08pm

Today was spent waiting on the repairman to come fix our stove.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 10:13am

Michael Ann - Have a good race! About the money, those bills don't seem totally outrageous. Combined, my husband and I make less than 100k...we also have a steep mortgage. We just have to be careful and don't have a lot of extras, though we do take a vacation most years. For example, I had to consider carefully if we were going to go to the renaissance fair last weekend because it was going to be expensive...and I had to budget very carefully to buy our treadmill last year. Also, I'm pretty low-maintenance...I've learned I have to be ;) I get budget haircuts and buy a lot of my clothing from thrift stores. I grew up in a low-income family, so I tend to be cheap! I am SO much better off than I was as a child, I always feel very grateful, even when I do have to pass things up that I might like.

Amber - I'm really sorry about your grandfather. It must be very stressful for your family.

I actually have friend's 40th birthday party to go to Saturday night (I hardly EVER go out...it's amazing, lol!), but other than that, I'm working the whole weekend.

Edited 5/29/2010 12:53 pm ET by justiceandtruth
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 6:02pm
I guess that's my problem, I am too high maintenance and refuse to give up all the "little" stuff ($100 hair cuts every 8 weeks, out to dinner or date nights whenever we have time, a new pair of shoes I see that I like, etc.) So by the time I pay all the bills, I guess there is technically enough to "live" off of, but not always enough for everything else I want to do...so usually we just do it anyways and deal with the consequences later, so probably why I always feel broke.

Photobucket

belizesig1

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-31-2010 - 9:48pm

"I guess that's my problem, I am too high maintenance and refuse to give up all the "little" stuff ($100 hair cuts every 8 weeks, out to dinner or date nights whenever we have time, a new pair of shoes I see that I like, etc.)So by the time I pay all the bills, I guess there is technically enough to "live" off of, but not always enough for everything else I want to do.."

Well...at least you're honest, lol! Clearly, you're able to get by on your husband's income, so it doesn't sound as if you'll have to give up anything any time soon. It's all a matter of perspective. I grew up in a household where my parents often couldn't provide for our basic needs, so a night of Chinese food and some discount clothing usually seems decadent to me ;).

No, but honestly, we could give up our annual vacations or weekends away, but it's something we really enjoy and I feel it strengthens or family and marriage, so we try very hard to go away each year. But, in order to do that, we have to scale back other things. However, like I said, my sister and I grew up with so little, anything I have now feels like a bonus.

But I say, if you can afford what you're doing, you're able to provide for your family, and it makes you happy, why not? Now, if you were buying yourself expensive shoes and your kids were eating rock soup, that might be a different matter.... ;) Joking!

Edited 5/31/2010 10:03 pm ET by justiceandtruth
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 4:03pm
My cut and color costs $115 after tip every 8 weeks..sometimes longer if we can't afford it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 4:31pm
Yep, 8 weeks is a stretch for me too. I should be about 5-6 max. Good hair cuts are non-negotiable for me!

Photobucket

belizesig1

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 5:40pm
Yeah, short hair has to be kept neat.

Pages