Thursday 2/11 Coffee House Chat

iVillage Member
Thursday 2/11 Coffee House Chat
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 7:32am
Its Thursday! Check in here and let us know what is on the agenda for today!

Photobucket

belizesig1
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 7:44am

I am off to take the kids to school. Then I have some work to do and one DD has the day off. She has a makeup violin this aft and I need to get some groceries.

Have a great day, everyone.

Ann

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 7:54am

Spent a full 9 hours yesterday doing homework. Stunk. But I got all my chem and trig done. The chem homework is getting ridiculous. It was 7 full pages (front and back) worth of calculations. But on the plus side, I found a Student Solutions Manual for my text! I ordered it and paid the big bucks for expedited shipping, hope I get it soon! It not only gives answers, but works out the problems step by step with EXPLANATIONS! Trig homework went surprisingly well, we are getting into the "real" trig stuff now, but I think I am getting it fine.

Today...I'm still not ready to hit the gym. Tomorrow for sure. I'm just going to hang out and clean up a bit until I have to leave for school. I'm not sure if we will get back all of our exams today. I hope so, I want to get it over with! But I am really nervous, my stomach just jumped up into my throat even thinking about it.

I sat down last night and laid out a possible degree plan if I do the geology thing. Its pretty scary looking, but it would be about 4 or 5 semesters more. IF I can do 4 classes a semester. Some of the semesters look like this: Calc III, University Physics II, plus two upper level geology classes. Yikes. Not sure if that is doable. But if this is what I want I need to get on the ball and get in my application (this school is not open enrollment like the one I was going to for my teaching degree) And I have to figure out how we are going to pay for it because its also twice as expensive and we won't be able to just do it out of pocket like the teaching degree. I'll need a loan I guess, which sucks since it will have to be unsubsidized.

Photobucket

belizesig1

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 9:02am

Your work ethic is so impressive. I can tell you don't do things half way !

Your plan sounds good, too bad that it is so expensive. I applied for a scholarship for my Phd (although a lot of programs are funded and that is why they are so hard to get in). I was very fortunate to have an academic scholarship in undergrad, for my masters I had to get a loan. I did not like graduating with that. I postponed getting a car when I started working and make it my priority to pay it back asap.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 9:34am

MichaelAnn - I would definitely agree w/Ann to check into scholarships. I'll look around my college web to see what things they offer. I know women & science is a good category & as a mom getting your degree, there might be some other ones too. I know I saw some on a list I was checking last fall.

Ann - enjoy the day! Hopefully your program does not make you wait too long before sending their acceptance.

Today I am going to school early to meet with the advisor for the Special Ed dept. I'm trying to figure out if I want to add that endorsement to my program. It would mean a few classes to take while I'm teaching but I'm not sure how that student teaching, etc would work. I eventually want to go that direction, just trying to figure out if it makes sense to go for it now. It affects which Special Ed class I take this fall and I need to apply if I head that way.

I got As on two papers in English & 1 in history this week. I think the only class that may give me issues this semester is music of all things! We are learning things I know they do not teach in Elementary music classes and no one is getting it unless they have had music training before.

Stephanie

Mom to DD15, DD9 & DS7

Stephanie

Mom to DD16, DD10 & DS8

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 9:37am
I'm having a hard time finding scholarships that don't include "financial need" as one of the requirements. I went to a scholarship workshop at school and the lady looked through about 80 scholarships with me and they ALL included need. There is no way anyone would consider us having a "financial need" with dh's income. Plus I don't have anything exciting wrong with me...no diseases, not a single mom, just a normal boring person. Not the type of person anyone really wants to "help" even though it still doesn't mean I can pay $4000/semester tuition. Stuck in the middle is really the worst place to be. If I do have to get a loan, we'd start paying on it right away though and not waiting til I graduate (since interest would start adding up as soon as I take out the loan) We could probably make payments of $200+ a month all throughout school, but still, that interest will just kill us. On the other hand, a geology degree could mean a higher paying job in the end than teaching...BUT, knowing me, I'd still want to teach, eve if it was at a higher level. But the professors at my college (many with phd's) make a whopping $20-30/hour.

Photobucket

belizesig1

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 11:04am

Since I ended up having to work on my day off yesterday, it totally messed up my classwork schedule. I don't like when my week gets thrown off!

Today, I have to do classwork, pick DS up after school and bring him to the doctor, and squeeze in some yoga. That's probably going to take up most of the day. And I AM going to read for actual pleasure tonight...no counseling books allowed :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 11:14am
Stephanie - congrats those are great marks !
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 12:05pm

Not even scholarships based on GPA?

My GPA was middle of the road to begin with- so I don't really qualify for anything like that.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 12:18pm

Cheryl - it sounds like you are managing your situation really well considering all of the stuff going on.

Hopefully we will all get our dream jobs when we graduate. We need some light at the end of the tunnel.

Ann

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 12:28pm

My husband and I just laugh.

I graduate in May 2011.

Pages