Tues 11/6

iVillage Member
Tues 11/6
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 7:32am

What's happenin' today?

photo Kim-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 7:43am

Well, I got up early and showered so I am ready to go vote and David and I need to go register the new car. Besides voting & registering, I am picking Robbie and Adam up after school and dropping Adam off at the pool and then Robbie and I are headed down to another town to pick up his Halo 4 game. It was like Christmas for him last night, he has been counting down to it for months and he has been driving us nuts for days with is Halo 4 countdown. I'm just glad it's election day and maybe we can get a break from all the political crud for awhile.

I hope everyone has a good Tuesday. :)

photo Kim-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 8:12am

Not a lot here.  A lot of my co workers sent emails that they would be late due to voting.    Should be a madhouse today.     We did early voting in my family so don't have to get out there today.

My printer at home is out of ink, so this morning I'm printing off all the paperwork for DCL/the Galvez, etc.  Ann ordered each of the girls a nautical plush (Mickey for Mickie and Minnie for Maddie) as well as the room to be decorated for their birthday.   I intended to do that myself, so it's nice that she sent me the support showing she already did it.

So, Maddie made honor roll.    John and I are trying to figure out how to reward her - because she deserves it. . without dinging Mickie.    John did talk with the girls teachers last week and then yesterday with the school counselor.   The counselor is suppose to make contact with Mickie without letting her know we asked her to - to see if we can find the right route to help her self esteem.   I'm also looking at some theater art classes, thinking when dance class ends to see about getting her in those. . Maddie is interested in karate, so it might be nice this summer to get them in separate activities where Makayla doesn't think she is competing with her sister.

Tuesday. . .come on weekend.  

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 3:21pm

YAY! Printing paperwork! Wooo Hoooo!!!

We had early voting here but David was dead set that he wanted to vote on voting day-no other day. Dork. Good thing we live in a small town where it didn't really make a difference. We were in and out of there in about 10 minutes. :)

Yay for Maddie! I hope you can think of a great way to celebrate her achievement without hurting Mickies feelings. That is a tough line to walk.

photo Kim-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 7:13pm
Glad it didn't take long to vote. Lyndon and I usually do the early vote here to avoid the long lines. Well, I am guessing by now Robbie has his game and is enjoying it :-) Hope your day went well.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 7:16pm
Good for Maddie! I can only imagine the fine line you have to walk with regards to rewards and self esteem. It is hard when kids compare themselves to someone else, especially a sibling. My brother had that problem when we were kids. It was hard for him b/c he had to work so hard to just pass and for me, it was easier. Hopefully the counselor will have some ideas. Awesome that you are at the stage of getting the paperwork ready for your trip. Yay!
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 7:20pm
Nothing going on here. Same old, same old. LOL LOL Chloe and I did take Indy to finally get his nails trimmed. Poor boy - they were over due b/c I was out of commission last week. The groomer doesn't do weekends :-( and Lyndon is afraid to trim his nails b/c they are so dark. I'm off tomorrow thanks to being subponaed to court. I'm hoping they will tell me I'm not needed. I really don't want to have to testify. The person charged has a nasty temper and he knows where I live :-( Lyndon is worried about me going on my own but, that is not a good place for him to be. I am thinking of seeing if he'd like to go to lunch with me, if things are all done by then. Well, Lyndon is on his way home already - yay for supper at a decent time. So, I guess I'd best get cooking :-)
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 8:20am

Good luck with court, and do be careful with Mr. Nasty!

I remember my oldest brother had trouble in school.   My parents use to reward him $ for As and Bs.   My younger brother and I earned nothing.   We never thought that was fair.  So I want to try very hard to be fair.    I did talk to them last night - both of them - Makayla told Madison she was proud of her.  Madison told Makayla she knows she'll be on Honor Roll soon and offered to help her with her reading.   We offered them $ for As and Bs and they both turned it down.   They asked to get to pick out a Princess Barbie at the Disney Store this weekend.  Maddie said she thought Mickie's report card was good enough for them to both get a Barbie.  So that still doesn't reward Maddie for honor roll, but she seems okay sharing a prize.    She did (Maddie) earn a free lunch at a place called ITZ.   I've never been there - but Candice has said it is like a bigger version of Chuck E Cheese.  So Perhaps we will take them, and let Maddie present her free coupon with pride, while we pay for the rest of us.   I don't know.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 9:46am
I'm like you Deb. I work very hard to be fair, especially with the kids. I didn't have a stellar childhood either but, it did teach me how I did not want to parent. So, it was not all bad. Sometimes you have to work hard but, some of the time you can get something good out of a bad situation. I love how Maddie champions for Mickie. You have such sweet girls and contrary to what you think, I do not think of them as spoiled at all. They are caring and generous, just like their mama :-) I am sure you and John will find a way to honor Maddie's accomplishment in a way that Mickie will not feel slighted.