2012 Cruising for some Fun!

iVillage Member
2012 Cruising for some Fun!
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 8:29am

I thought since the other cruise thread was over 2,000 posts that we should start a new one.

We can discuss upcoming cruise plans as well as those cruises we hope to/wish to plan. Plus any cruise news and/or questions. :)

photo Kim-1.jpg

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 2:57pm

:smileysad: Awe. I knew you wanted to take her and the boys. I think it would have been so good for the boys to get to travel. I understand your dissapointment.

Oh and yes, lots of ports. I'm beginning to think too many ports. I know you had mentioned Grand Turk before and I just several pics from there and wow-add that to my list too. Too many ports, not enough money.

BTW-I just found a pretty cool itinerary that my family would probably enjoy. It's a 5 day (7 would be better) but it's on CCL Victory out of Miami and goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. Oooooh, there is a 7 day on the Conquest too (looking at Spring Break 2014) that goes Nassau, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk. UGH. Have to stop looking at cruises. LOL

photo Kim-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 3:02pm

I'm watching those too for either 2014 or 2015.    The Carnival Breeze goes to Grand Turk on some of her routes too, some are 8 day and others 6 day itineries.   :smileyhappy:   Grand Turk looks beautiful & it has a dunebuggy tour that goes out on the beach that looks fun. 

Hmmm, wonder how hard it would be to get from Orlando to Miami.    LOL

I agree, too many places to see - and not enough money.  :smileysad:

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:05am

Hey Deb-Only 3 months until you are back on a ship again. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

photo Kim-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:48am

I know.   And my first DCL experience.   You never know. . once we go DCL we may never go back.  LOL.  Although the girls are already asking to go back on the Jewel - just to see some of their new friends again.

We were docked in Skagway at the same time as the Pearl - so John asked the Concerige if he could find out anything about Marie for the girls.   Turns out Marie isn't on any ship at the moment, as she extended her time off.   

Sooooo, only 3 months until your big family Thanksgiving at the beach.   I can't tell you how Norman Rockwell that sounds.   I know, with family it never really lives up to those paintings. . .but it sounds so family-value-ish.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:23pm

I'm getting excited about the beach visit. I've been looking up things to do-checking to see what is new. I think I am going to book a wild horse tour so we can get up and personal with the wild horses. That looks really cool. Also, I am planning one day to drive down to Manteo Island (only about an hour drive) and do the NC aquarium, a place called Elizabethan Gardens, gonna eat at a 50's diner place that Guy Fieri stopped at this summer (show will air in the Fall) and finally will stop at this store that my family stopped at every single summer-the Christmas Shop. It's an amazing place-Christmas stuff like you have never seen, a Halloween shop, an Art Gallery, and jewelry. There used to be over 500 Christmas trees but I don't know how many they have now. They closed back in 2005, tried to sell and couldn't, and then reopened in 2008. Last time I was there they were closed and I was so sad so I am very excited to take my family there. I'm also planning on shopping and eating at some of our favorite places. I'm excited about it all-I love that place. :smileyhappy:

photo Kim-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:28pm

Well, I wouldn't be suprised if it makes you want to try out the Fantasy or Dream but I doubt it will make you want to quit the other lines. I know some people are die-hard DCL fans and I LOVE them, but I love the value of other lines and if this CCL cruise is anything close to fun (how can it not be??) I can see us only cruising DCL occasionally. I looked up the price of my 4 night Dream cruise and we are paying $8 more to cruise on the Magic, in a spa balcony room, for 7 nights than we did for an OV for 4 nights on the Dream. Oh, but got free soda on the Dream. :smileywink:

photo Kim-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 3:05pm

Well, I know you know cruise lines better than I do, so you know about what I pay for a cruise.   With NCL I can get a two bedroom suite w/perks for the price of a balcony on DCL.     However, this past cruise my DDs liked the new/revised kids club even less.  Which caused John & I some heartburn.   So other than the POA, the next time we try NCL it will have to be a newer ship.   Although, the girls did say they had more fun in the kids club in the Caribbean than on either Alaska cruise - so it could be the destination too.

Let me ask you as a mother/cruise lover. . . .

Since Ethan/Aiden can't go with us next year - the girls want me to surprise them with something instead, and push the CCL Magic to 2014 (as you know).   It is their 10th birthday, so I want it to be a nice surprise. . .I mean, they are turning double digits here.  

My thoughts were NCL Epic.    We do like NCL perks and I think we are silver now.

CCL Breeze, because I want to get to Grand Turk one day.    The 6 night appeals to me more as it also goes to Ocho Rios, which both girls have been begging to go back to - but it also goes to Nassau. . .no appeal there.   But that could be a water park day.

Or, take a ship out of Port Canaveral/Tampa where we can try to incorporate stopping by to see the dolphin, Winter.   I know Disney would be out of my price range by now for November/December 2013 - but there is RCCL Freedom of the Seas, CCL Dream (I need to see where they are going), or even a CCL option out of Tampa.

If it were you. . .what would you lean toward?  

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 3:06pm

LOL, well now that you remind me of the free soda - I'm going to hop over to DCL and price out next fall!!  :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 3:29pm

You know, I mentioned the Epic - but if I did that it would be a whole new booking for 2013, not a transfer.  Then move my CCL reservation when 2014 comes out.

Hmmm, wonder if I can keep fall 2013 cheap enough if I could swing another Alaska in 2014.  LOL  HA!  I just messed up my own desire to see new places each year.   What's up with that?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 3:50pm

Hummm...I think I would see what is out of Port Canaveral/Tampa. Remember I was telling you I was checking out the CCL Spirit class ships as people seem to love them? One of them sails out of Tampa. :smileyhappy: I really want to try the FOS, as much as I want to try the Oasis class ships. It seems like a nice size, lots and lots to do, plus Dreamworks-all win,win,win in my book.

I think I would gather all the cruise options together and then see which appeals to you the most. Looks and see what CCL ships are sailing out of Tampa and then decide. I'm gonna go look and see what ship it is and see if it's one of those Spirit class ships. :smileyhappy:

photo Kim-1.jpg

Pages