She Waxed Her 3YO's "Unibrow"????

iVillage Member
She Waxed Her 3YO's "Unibrow"????
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 9:24am

This chick is nuts.  She was on the Teen Mom series (and I thought she was the superficial snotty one).  She waxed her 3YO daughter's unibrow and calls herself a "good mom" and says she's proud of her daughter.  Um...isn't this a bit extreme? 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/farrah-abraham-waxes-daughter-unibrow_n_2426364.html

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 9:53am

I know this may not be the answer you are looking for but I don't think it was as crazy as you think. I have a three year old with a serious unibrow and I am toiling with the idea of waxing it. I've talked with several other mothers and honestly, no one really thinks it is all that horrible.

I'd have it done at a salon by someone with experience.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 10:06am

Oh, I'm not looking for any particular answer, just maybe a different point of view to help me understand because it just seems so unnecessary to wax a toddler.  If it's that bad (and it was my 3YO), I'd use something like this instead:  http://www.evepearl.com/products/face/tri-fold_eyebrow_razor.htm

I have this little eyebrow razor and love it. 

If my daughter was older and asked for her eyebrows to be waxed, then that would be fine by me too.  I just can't understand the need for wax at this age.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 10:11am

Now that might be an idea. I will check that out. I don't want to sound like a pageant mom when talking about my daughter's eyebrow but it is really thick and goes entirely across her forehead. You can't help but notice it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 10:23am

I'm a little torn on this.  IF it was super bad, I'd consider waxing before they started school (so they weren't teased).  However, at three, it just seems too young for me.  The eyebrow razor looks cool, though.  I may need to get one of those for myself!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 11:00am
I think it's absolutely absurd that she waxed her child's eyebrows! Not surprising considering how many issues the mom has with her own body, next up will be breast implants when the girl is 13. If you are that concerned with your child's unibrow, there are much less painful ways to deal with it. The other issue is that you are just going to have to continue to wax it every couple of months, can't wait for those battles she is going to have with her.

photo abbysummer_zps85da8a35.jpg

Community Leader
Wed, 01-09-2013 - 1:45pm

Ugh.  I had a nice, articulate reply ready, and iVillage signed me out instead of posting.  Insert grumpy face!

Like other posters, I'm not against getting rid of my kid's unibrow, but I also agree that there are better ways to do it!  Having said that, what about waxing or shaving your kid's legs?  Is it wrong to bring your seven-year-old's attention to her hairy legs, or is it just a part of life?  Do you think it would affect her interactions with her peers?

Personally, I wouldn't start shaving my daughter's legs before she was ready to do it herself.  What's the purpose in starting young?  And as to interactions with other kids, they notice stuff like that.  When I first started shaving, I shaved my arms, and I swear, everyone noticed.  I stopped doing it pretty darn quick.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-14-2013 - 12:20pm

Honestly I can't imagine waxing a 3 year old's face or any part of her body. Granted my oldest doesn't have a unibrow, but even if she did,I can't see myself doing anything to get rid of it. Why? Because I think women in todays society are so worried about outward appearances. They're toddlers! Not 13 year old girls. If a 5 year old is getting bullied and teased at school because she has a "unibrow", then I say the real issue is mean kids, not an excess of hair. Growing up I wasn't allowed to shave my legs until junior high when I started gym class. Yes that meant that the first day of class I had more noticable hair on my legs then most of the other girls, but guess what, there was no teasing or name calling. And I understand that there are people in this world who have much darker and much more noticble hair then I, but seriously, LET KIDS BE KIDS! They will have plenty of time to worry about their image later. And let's be honest, the 3 year old doesn't care that she has a unibrow, only her vain mother does.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-15-2013 - 6:10pm

What about threading? I have never tried it but it seems safer then wax or a razor.