Gypsy's March 2010

iVillage Member
Gypsy's March 2010
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 4:14pm
Well, the battle continues. Can't seem to stick to goal of 155. Am about 162-164 right now. Just celebrated my birthday, and was a "bad girl" last week, too. ROFL! I am frustrated but also fighting my body and mostly my taste buds. I am just tired of eating "watered down" tasting foods. Which is what low fat ends up being. :// I pretty much have that lifestyle down, but I am so yearning and craving "real cheese" rather than watered down tasting low fat stuff or non fat stuff. Same with baked snack chips, etc. Frustrated finding low sodium because food mfg. companies have realized that when they take out the fat, they also take out a lot of the flavor. So they up sodium/salt because, hey, it's cheaper than a lot of fancy spices (which I use at home to make foods taste good and not BLAH with low salt...).

I have had achy hip joints and low back. The chiropractor says it's not me out of alignment. Can't afford also my acupuncturist, or I'd go see her, too. :// I think it's my statin drug. Which I need for my heart post surgery, apparently, even if my cholesterol is good due to low fat diet and WW. But it *can* produce joint and muscle pain. So I've been on Motrin or Tylenol several doses a day just to keep walking so I don't gain wait. And this makes me ANGRY!!!! Because I was off all that pain med for achy joints after Dec. 08 when I'd lost enough of the excess weight on WW, like 60 lbs. worth; and now I'm like stuck with the dang pain meds yet again! Grrrrrrr! :// I need to walk Mika everyday or starve myself. Starving is not an option, to keep the weight off. That doesn't work. So, I am binging some also because I'm frustrated.

Another reason for the aches & pains is the need for parathyroid surgery because of a benign tumor, which causes the parathyroid to dump calcium in my blood. :// I was to have this surgery last year, but flunked the EKG, and ended up with heart surgery instead. UGH! So, now I am going for this minor surgery again... I will have the pre-op appt. on this coming Wednesday, including another EKG, plus chat with the anesthesiologist, lab work, etc. Then surgery is Wednesday 3/17. Supposed to be a one night stay and then home. There will be a few restrictions like walking Mika or lifting, maybe driving for awhile, too. Due to it's neck surgery. I am not looking forward to more "house arrest" but hope it'll be less invasive and less restrictive for less time than last year with the heart surgery.

My doc also promised me we would address the need for the statin if the aches & pains are not resolved from the surgery. Because statins are known for this side effect. If side effects limit my exercise and thus sabotage my weight maintenance, I am really going to fight staying on the drug. Quality of life is important and I'm only 63. I will not be relegated to sitting in a rocking chair, gaining weight, and become inactive. ://

So, while I should be journaling and pointing out my food, I'm not. I'm sketchy in attending my WW meetings as well, and I need to be there. Sigh... Self-destructive behaviors, I know... :o( Just can't deal with it right now. My pedometer died. I have to get a new lithium battery but haven't as yet. I still clock my time and track my heart rate, and keep log sheets I mail in to the Multfit people. I will end that year-long post heart surgery program after this month. At this point, I have a lot of records of steps per minute of walking with Mika, so it's no big deal. But I liked wearing the pedometer as soon as I got up in the morning (went on right after hearing aids & eye glasses, LOL!). Wearing it is a reminder to stay on track, have goals as to # of steps per day or to reach during each walk, and so on. I get lazy without it. :P So, will get that rectified soon.

So, that's me at the moment. ;))

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 5:12pm

Hugs darlin it can be so tough sometimes....wanting that food....knowing that it's bad for you....but still wanting it!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 1:22pm

The daily struggle....sometimes I think I'd like to live as a castaway on an island with no temptations to fight with on a daily basis. I can very much relate to what you posted about the foods. I'm now just over a year in on the new lifestyle and I still find myself craving my old foods that gave me comfort (and an extra 50lbs) over the last few years. The more I "cheat" the more I give myself permission to do more of it. I'm with you in feeling, at times, that low-fat / fat free foods are 2nd best to the real stuff :)

Big hugs for the health issues. My Mom had the same issues with her statin meds, her elbows were most

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 12:18pm
Here I am again! ;)) Thank you both for your support!

Had a successful surgery yesterday! All went well, only one tumor on one of the four parathyroid glands. Everything went smoothly, and I left for home at 4:00 p.m. :P They gave me Vicodan for pain, but I never even opened the bottle. My throat is a bit sore from the tube down my throat for the total anesthetic, and my incision site is tender, but otherwise Super Tylenol is sufficient. And already the joint pain is just about GONE, and I am looking for lots more physical energy as well. These are both things greatly affected by over working parathyroid glands dumping calcium in the blood. :/ I had a good night's sleep, and am planning to walk with my Mika dog this morning. I can also drive since I am not using the Vicodan. I cannot believe how much less pain I have now! WOW! It only took me at least 3 years to get this done. Glad it's finally over, that I had a great surgeon (he is from India and soooo CUTE, LOL! :D). I am to see him next Tuesday for my follow-up visit.

Last week I started backing off my binging and journaling my foods again in my WW journal book. I have kept up with walking Mika all along, or I'd likely have gained more over my binge cycle that started the beginning of the month. :// I weighed 170 (YIKES! :O) at my pre-op last week, but 164 yesterday. So, just a few days back on track with WW and the weight is coming back off! :)) I have missed the last two weeks of my WW meetings; not good. :( Will be emailing my leader how I'm doing later today, and show up on Monday for the meeting. :P Got as far as buying a new battery for my pedometer, but haven't got it set up yet. Have to input all my info again, stride, weight, etc. (it's a WW one), and DD did that for me originally, and I hate trying to figure out how to do this stuff. (Directions just are never as clear as they could be, LOL!). I *do* still have the direction booklet, so hopefully DH & I will figure it all out. I of course did *not* write down anywhere my stride length of time (Mika & I did 109 min. the day before surgery! :P), so we'll have to do that all over again. ARRGGGHHH! :// In the meantime, I have continued tracking by time my walks with Mika, and my heart rate, though, as I still fill out the log sheets for the Multifit program.

Well, it's a beautiful sunny morning, so I think I'll get myself together and go walk! ;))

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 12:32pm

Gypsy, So glad to hear you had a successful surgery and already feeling better, that is AWESOME! Sounds like this is going to make your weight control efforts much easier. It's so inspiring to read that even with all your medical issues you've kept your commitment to walking!

VJ-Sig
Autism Ribbon
50 pounds
VJ-Sig
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 1:42pm
So glad that your surgery went well and that you aren't having pain!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 5:43pm
Thank you. :)) Keeping up the walking is in large part due to my dog Mika. :P I can't disappoint her! ;) Also because without continuing daily exercise my attempts at weight maintenance would be doomed! As well as have a hyper dog from no exercise, YIKES! No-No-No! LOL!:P

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 6:15pm
Your support has meant so much, Sue! ;)) Didn't end up walking yesterday w/ Mika, but walked 60 min. at the grocery store instead, doing "big" grocery shopping w/ DH. And that was enough. :P Mika & I got in an 81 min walk in today, though. I'm a bit pooped but it went well. Plus I drove, just because I can, LOL! to the library for freebie movies. ;) DH & I just had lunch. Will relax the rest of the day. :P

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 7:10pm
Glad you are feeling better and able to drive!
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 12:14pm
My incision is just above my clavicle, right in the middle... :P Today I can take off the gauze bandaging, but leave the plastic strips. I can take a shower and I'm gonna! ;) I'm supposed to have a little "smiley" face" scar there according to the surgeon. Given the major scarring I have down the middle of my chest from the heart surgery, this little scar is going to be minor, I think...

I was pooped yesterday, so I think I did a bit much, ROFL! :P Today, Mika & I will walk a little less time, I think. And I will read or watch movies. ;) I did sleep well, but the sciatica in my right hip area has not magically disappeared, unfortunately. Still *much* improvement as to the general aching joints, though, which is what the surgeon promised. :P Got an email from the surgeon today to say the pathology report for the tumor he removed, was benign. So, that is good to know, although generally that is what is expected with my issue...

Glad you are taking good care of yourself, too. We will support each other! And come through it all, like the strong women we are! ;)) {{{HUGS!}}}

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 1:40pm
Yay for smiley incisions that heal so nicely!

Pages