AD's Cousin with Autism

iVillage Member
AD's Cousin with Autism
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 12:23pm

Hi ladies, not sure if anyone can help with this but thought i'd give it a try!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 1:58pm

Your cousin sounds like my oldest. How does your cousin react when her son acts that way? At 3, Alex was very pushy, because he wanted to be friends with other kids, but didn't know how, other than to push into the middle of what they were playing. It took a lot for me, and his preschool teacher to teach him that pushing into the middle of a game, was not the way to make friends. I don't know what to tell you to do. I can say that I wouldn't leave them alone, I would make sure I was supervising at all times, and modeling proper interactions.

We haven't diagnosed Alex with autism, yet, but highly suspect Aspergers, which is very similar to what you are saying about your cousin's boy. Very smart, an incredible memory, but socially has a lot of trouble, he also has a lot of sensory issues.

I am not sure any of this helps. I hope it does, though.

DSC_9102_1
DSC_1103
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 9:29pm

I've worked with some children with autism in a school setting so have some experience. My best advice to you would be just to teach Kevin to move out of the way if Your cousins son starts to have an outburst. Explain to Kevin that he does it because he doesn't know what words to

emma1.jpg picture by canadianmom85