Connecting w/ all of your kids

iVillage Member
Connecting w/ all of your kids
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 5:25pm
The other post about the right amount of children/family got me thinking...

siggysummer2009.jpg picture by briansillywife

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 6:35pm

Good post .. well .. I think I gravitate to them each in different ways ... I gotta admit .. I'm totally biased and love the gender and placement of our children .. Koben .. my firstborn - always special b/c he's my first .. he's a morning bird .. so I enjoy our morning alone time .. and if I'm slipping out to a store at 6:30am - he gladly joins me (of course NOT a school morning) ... Selah .. she's my girl .. the ONLY girl and is totally my sidekick - we have fun .. b/c it's just "Us Girls" and then Brantzen .. he's my BABY .. so he still LOVES to be babied and acts like a baby! :-)

So, we just kinda have our different moments and times of the day .. bedtime .. is extra special with Selah .. b/c I sit in her big queen bed with her and it's just US and we chit chat - though the bad thing about that 'habit' .. she doesn't like to go to bed when I'm not here. ;-/

and for Brantzen .. since he's still home .. I get PLENTY of alone time with him . but gotta admit .. we make a smokin Wii time on Super Mario Bros! :-)

Edited 6/1/2010 6:44 pm ET by sabakose
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:00pm
I love them all... differently :) It is a struggle making sure that each child gets enough Mom or Dad alone time. Now that the boys are in school, we make a point of taking one of them out alone for breakfast before school, or out for an afternoon on the weekend, or if they have an afternoon activity, maybe out for pizza alone afterwards. Little things, but they make a difference. I find it's my middle child that I need to pointedly make time for - because he gets lost in the shuffle (if that makes sense). My youngest (Amelia, 4) is home with me during the day, so gets lots of Mom time. My oldest has a lot of activities at night, and consequently gets Mom or Dad time. My middle son is often with one of the other two kids... so finding alone time is more difficult. But he is the sweetest child, and so much fun to get on his own.
Photobucket

DSC_4424
DSC_1103
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 5:58am

While the last year and a half I have had more focus on Grayson and DH has had RJ, I have made just 'RJ and I' time.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 8:13am
I'm not sure how things will

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 10:09am
Because Liam is still a baby and "needs" me more I feel like I connect more with him than Lily right now. I spend more time taking care of him than doing things for/with Lily and when I interact with Lily most of the time during the week it is getting onto her for being naughty or getting her ready for bed, or to go in the morning. So what time I do spend with her is usually me being irritated or issuing orders. Not the relationship I want to have with her. I am aware Liam gets most of my attention these days and I am trying to work more one on one time in with Lily but it is so hard. Working 40 hours a week leaves me very little time during the week to play or just have fun with either of them. Most of my time is spent on care needs (feeding, baths, etc.)Then on the weekends I am catching up on laundry, cleaning and errands and dealing with church activities. I am finding it extremely difficult to spend time with her and be in a relationship with her and not just the person who makes sure she eats, gets dressed and sleeps.

lovefeelingaction.gif image by okiefrmuskogeebg50.gif image by okiefrmuskogeeLorieblinkie.gif image by okiefrmuskogee