Do you do birthday party loot bags?

iVillage Member
Do you do birthday party loot bags?
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 3:09pm

This is cross posted from my September 2008 PG, but I am trying to get as many opinions as I can...I have to make a decision soon!

I am curious how many people do loot bags for their children's birthday parties?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 3:18pm

For the past 2 months we've had parties almost every weekend! Everyone seems to be giving a favor per their theme. So instead of throwing a bunch of candy and stickers from the dollar store in a bag, they give one thing.

IE - one kid had a breakfast pancake party, and everyone came in their PJ.s

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 3:24pm
That is a great idea!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:34pm
I am not a fan. Like you said, they cost a lot and it is mostly junk. If you are doing a craft, they have that to bring home. My favorite party favor to do instead of a bag-o-crap is a mix cd. I've done those a number of times, and they are always a big hit. You don't even need a full cd. If you can find 8-10 fun songs that Grace likes, that is plenty. I usually write "Jane's b-day party mix 2010" on each cd with a sharpie. I did it the first time when she was in 2nd grade, and she still listens to that cd.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 7:11pm

I'm not a fan of loot bags either, but I usually do them anyways. With K's birthday, I did dollar store coloring books with a small set of cheap crayons. I bought a variety, some for girls and boys, rolled them up, covered them with tissue paper in the colors of her party, threw some ribbon on them and made little tags that said, "Allie, thank you for celebrating my birthday with me. Kayla."

You could always do a make and take home type of party favor. If you have lots of arts supplies hanging around the house, you could buy a bunch of cheap wooden frames at Micheal's and have them decorate them. You could even buy those magnetic strips and put them on the back and they could be refrigerator magnets.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 1:29am

We do just a single gift.

siggysummer2009.jpg picture by briansillywife