Explaining Breastfeeding...

iVillage Member
Explaining Breastfeeding...
Mon, 11-16-2009 - 7:02pm

to a 3 1/2 year old. I posted a small commented on facebook but I thought I'd share our chat since it had me chuckling.

Anyways my friend got here from Aussie land with her baby the same day Emma's new cousin was born so has seen quite a bit of breastfeeding last week. She was very curious and watched and didn't seem to think anything of it.

After a couple days she had said nothing so today I brought it up and asked her what she thought of the babies eating and she got the giggles and told me they were "drinking boob." I explained to her there was milk in there to which she got the giggles even more and thought I meant milk like in our fridge. lol Then started giggling even more when I told her I use to breastfeed her (only for a couple days) I then explained to her that some baby's use a bottle just like her dolls and that eventually the milk goes away when the baby is old enough to use a cup. I think she got the concept.

I have to say I thinking she starting to hit the age where she gets embarrased over bodily funtions. lol...I Love when kids get the giggles over stuff like that.

emma1.jpg picture by canadianmom85
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-17-2009 - 9:06am
It's just a fact of life at our house, and my kids don't even think twice about it. I think it is important to be matter of fact about it from the start so when she is pregnant someday and thinking about feeding her baby it isn't even a question. I know people that didn't even try to breastfeed because of the embarrassment factor or uncomfortableness, and that is a sad part of our society. That is why we have breasts.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-17-2009 - 11:34pm

Koben and Selah didn't think to much about it ... they just know babies drink mom's milk - though it is a bit more 'curious' to see non-family members BFing to them .. but for me .. it was just a part of our day.

The funny part .. for Brantzen who NEVER had even one bottle and BF until 20 months .. when he's pretending to be a baby .. he'll ask for a bottle .. to which, I think ... DUDE .. I spent countless hours feeding you and making gallons of milk .. and you act like you want a bottle! no fair! ;-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 1:01am

Like others, it is just like for us around here.

siggysummer2009.jpg picture by briansillywife

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 2:11pm

Since Brynn was born I've had to explain to Blake

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 4:47pm
LOL @ Blake thinking it wasn't fair he couldn't make milk. That's cute!

emma1.jpg picture by canadianmom85
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 6:01pm

Too cute on Blake wanting his chance to make milk.

We're in the BF is normal and that's what breasts are for camp around here. My kids don't think twice about babies nursing, but if they see a very tiny baby with a bottle, they want to know the mom isn't nursing.