extracurricular activities for AD's

iVillage Member
extracurricular activities for AD's
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 12:14am

What kind of extracurricular activities does your AD do? I want something that Noah can do mostly year round or fairly consistently.. sports are good but at this age the seasons are so short and swimming is good but around here we have such short winters and don't have a close indoor pool so that is pretty much out. I am thinking of martial arts.. it is something DH did as a kid an still to this day loves and talks about his time. My AD is kind of small and will likely always be so I like the idea that he would be able to stick up for himself and get some confidence, just not sure!

What are your thoughts on this? What kind of activities would/do you do?

Powered by CGISpy.com

<A href="http:

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 12:24am
For year round, I like the idea of active things like martial arts or tumbling classes.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 10:13am
I think martial arts is a great idea.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 11:13am
Indoor soccer would be a great idea and we do have a couple of places I think that do it.

Powered by CGISpy.com

<A href="http:

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 8:05pm

I was going to suggest soccer too. We don't have it here in our little town, but I looked into taking Aidan to Fairbanks (2 hour drive each way, ugh) for soccer and according to the youth association's website they had sessions in the summer and indoor sessions in the winter. It was just too far to drive, though. Hope Noah enjoys it!

The only activity available for 4 year olds here is hockey, which is during the school year. I'd like to enroll Aidan this coming year (because he needs some kind of physical outlet), but we've never so much as ice skated, lol.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 9:45pm

Amelia does gymnastics and dance. She's stopped dance for the summer, but will probably take it back up again in the fall. My oldest does karate, and I've watched the 3-4 year old class, and I would love to get Amelia involved in that... but here it is so expensive, I can't justify the cost - when she would love anything she does!

Gymnastics (IMO) is a great way for little ones to get their bodies moving! They work on coordination, movement, etc, and it's a good base for almost any other sport kids go on to do. Plus it gets lots of energy out ;)

Photobucket

DSC_4424
DSC_1103
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 11:01pm

You know I was looking and thinking of gymnastics as well but not sure if there is one close by or not.

I called the karate place today and it is $89 a month for 2 nights a week... each session is 1/2 hour only. That seems kind of expensive for 4 hours of instruction. Does that seem expensive to anyone else?