h1n1-Keep my babies out of school? HELP!

iVillage Member
h1n1-Keep my babies out of school? HELP!
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 3:27pm

Hi everyone - this is an important question I just had to get all of your feedback on as the H1N1 flu has hit my hometown. This happened while we were on vacation in FL (I live in CT) and now I'm really really nervous to send Autumn to preschool, and my 1 year old (who just started daycare part time in Sept) because I am scared that they will come in contact. There were 217 middle school-aged children out on Friday.

I have been torn about getting them the vaccine - but my instinct is telling me to get it for them. Autumn has had the flu shot since she was a baby, and did fine with it, so I expect Brady to do the same. BUT now that Autumn is three, she has to get the kind with thimerosol in it because they give that to patients 3 and up. That in itself makes me nervous!! I am going to see if I can request her to get the mercury free kind - but not sure how far I will get.

Anyway, should I keep them out of school until they are vaccinated?? What would you do?? I am very nervous. You know it's a scary world when a mother has to make such decisions. I'm not a negative-minded person (I always try to see the bright side of things) but this is scaring me to no end!

P.S. Sorry for the old siggy - haven't posted in awhile and really need to get a new one!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 3:45pm

EEek to all those kids being out! Though ... while we've not had any H1N1 at our school - there have been TONS of kids out for various sickness - so there's a multitude of viruses going around. So, it all might not be H1N1, KWIM?

I'm set on not getting the H1N1 vax .. we all did get our seasonal one. However .. if it started getting close to us .. then I might reconsider. It's such a hard decision and one that I HATE having to make?

I don't think I'd pull them out .. but if you DO have the option to and they are at school more for convenience/learning etc ... then perhaps?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 4:38pm

Hi Sandra! Thanks so much for your thoughts on this! I work for myself - run a business and work for a PR firm as an independent contractor, so I am able to work from home. I had Brady home with me until he was a yea, at which point it was becoming very hard to work at home with him. With my job I am handling multiple accounts and it is very demanding. If I slip on work, I could lose clients for my business, and the awesome PR job I do have. But OF COURSE my babies are FAR more important.
I'm going to get their regular flu shots as a start, and then call in the morning both her preschool (she is part of an excellent program that takes many precautions but still nervous!) and Brady's daycare to inquire about what actions are being taken, and if they would recommend me keeping them home for a bit. But flu season runs all fall/winter, so what would that help? I'm going to call their ped and the schools tomorrow so I hopefully will have more answers!

Any and all other advice/opinions welcome! Thanks again Sandra, hugs!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 4:44pm

Karissa,

I am worried like you and have not decided on the Vax's yet, we see our ped on Thursday so we will see then what he has to say...My husband is an elementary school teacher so we will have plenty of exposure from him and daycare.. I have even considered not going to the appt as it is a 4 month well baby visit and they don't have separate waiting rooms or patient rooms so I don't want to contract something while there... and the baby is doing great and healthy.. anyway...

I don't know whether to keep them home or not but even if you do get the H1N1 vax it takes 2 weeks for them to get full immunity and I think that our AD's would need 2 (1 about 4 weeks after the first) of the H1N1's to be immune also, I could be wrong on this part though.

All that to say I don't know or have any advice but know that if you decide to keep them home it could potentially be quite a while before full immunity is reached!

Great to see you post again... those babies are always precious to see :)