How do you handle race/ethnic issues?

iVillage Member
How do you handle race/ethnic issues?
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 11:10am

I had an issue come up yesterday and I was curious as to how other moms would handle this.

My mom pulled me aside and told me that Lily was playing and out of the blue she said, I don't like Mexicans. They are bad people. Their food is nasty, they smell and they are lazy. My jaw hit the floor and I was flabbergasted. My mom told me that she told Lily that none of those things were true and then asked her if she liked her cousins and if she liked the girls that live across the street from my parents, and Mr. G from mommy's work. Lily said yes and my mom explained that her cousin's dad is Mexican so they are part Mexican and the girls across the street are from Mexico and so is Mr. G at mommy's work. Lily replied oh, well I like them, they are sweet and fun. My mom then said so you can see how the things you said aren't true and how they could hurt someone for you to say that. That you wouldn't want someone to say that about your cousin or his dad would you? Lily replied no and went back to playing.

I teared up when my mom was telling me this. I am totally clueless as to where she got this from and it breaks my heart that at 4 she is getting this from somewhere. It certainly isn't from family. My family is very multicultural and we'd have to hate ourselves if we were racist, LOL! I know she was parroting something she heard somewhere else because the words don't sound like her they sound like something she heard someone else say.

So anyway, do you think my mom's handling of it was enough or should I say something else? I am clueless as how to handle this. I don't want to make a huge deal of it but I don't want her to think that type of thinking is okay or that what she heard is right. How would you handle this and how do you teach your kids that these types of stereotypes and racist statements aren't true?

lovefeelingaction.gif image by okiefrmuskogeebg50.gif image by okiefrmuskogeeLorieblinkie.gif image by okiefrmuskogee

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 11:33am

Wow, that is a tough one.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 2:25pm

RJ hasn't said anything bad about anyone, thankfully, but is always full of questions and I always worry about a public 'out of the mouths of babes'.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-17-2010 - 12:33am
Just curious with the food comment - do you ever have Mexican food - tacos, nachos, chips & salsa or queso? Just wondering if she's tried it before and doesn't realize also that's what is considered Mexican food.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-17-2010 - 5:31pm

Thanks Colleen. :) I'm sure you found it embarrassing but that is too funny about Blake asking your MIL if she were pg. :D We do talk about how God makes people in all shapes and sizes so I think I will continue to reinforce that. I am so petrified now that Lily will say this again in front of my cousin and her husband & children or in front of Larry's cousin and her husband and children since they are Hispanic. Can you imagine what they would think?! I hope they would know us well enough to know we didn't teach her that but gosh I know I would be pretty upset about it if I were in their shoes.

We've been through the commenting on other people's appearance thing too. It can be very embarrassing. There is a teenage girl in our town whose face was severely burned when she was toddler. They've done reconstructive surgery and stuff but her entire face is scared and melted looking. We saw her at a local fair when Lily was around three and Lily walked right up to her and innocently asked, What happened to your face? I wanted to crawl under a rock but the girl was so gracious and explained to Lily what had happened and even told her that this is why fire is so dangerous and you shouldn't ever play with it. I was so grateful and amazed she handled it so well. I apologized and she told me not to worry about it. That if she was a little kid she'd be curious too. What an angel huh?

One of my coworkers is a grandmother. She told me that her daughter was having trouble with her granddaughter just blurting out things about people's appearance. So they started practicing different scenarios and how you should think about what you say before you say it and that it should be something nice. One of the scenarios was you see a woman who has a very large bust what do you say. Her granddaughter replied, I should say you have very nice breasts, LOL!

lovefeelingaction.gif image by okiefrmuskogeebg50.gif image by okiefrmuskogeeLorieblinkie.gif image by okiefrmuskogee