How much sleep...

iVillage Member
How much sleep...
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 9:10pm

Does your little one usually get?

I have a 4 week..almost 5 week baby boy who sleeps hardly ever. I'll tell you what his schedule was in the past 24hrs.

Went to sleep at 9:30pm woke up at 12midnight to eat.
went back to sleep at 3:30am woke up at 6:40am to eat.
Went to sleep at 10:30am slept till 12noon.
Slept on and off..15mins here..20mins there from 2pm to 6pm.

Am I expecting too much of him to sleep more? I thought newborns sleep more than this?
Also everytime I put him down to sleep he only sleeps for a few minutes before he's awake and I try to shhh him back to sleep but no luck. It's been like this for a few days now and I'm starting to go crazy I think. LOL...I've tried everywhere to sleep..crib, playpen, carseat, swing, my bed..nothing is working. Do you think this will pass or do you think this is abnormal? Anyone going through this?

TIA
Vicky

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 9:15pm
Will usually gets up every 3 hours at night to eat and then goes right back to bed.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 9:17pm

I feel your pain. DD is now 6 weeks old and I went through that same cycle for the first 4 weeks. I finally gave up trying to have DD sleep in her crib or bassinet and started co-sleeping with her in our spare room. Next week I am going to start trying the bassinet again.

Are you breastfeeding? If so, then she is sleeping for some good stretches considering. Most breastfed babies break down their feedings within 90 minutes so you are feeding every 1 1/2 to 2 hours until their stomach's get bigger.

HTH .. Hang in there

Amy

Mommy to Brooklyn (4-06), Aiden (9-09) and two angels (8-08 and 10-08)
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 9:41pm
my baby is 9 wks. old and has been sleeping 8 hrs. at night for the last 3 days. before that she usually slept 5 hrs. at night. she has never been one for napping during the day.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 10:05pm

my baby girl is 6 weeks and she sleeps for about 6 hours at night (last week we had one 7 1/2 hour night!!:))she usually sleeps for another 3 or4 hours after her first morning feeding and then has a nap in the afternoon. but she also does that mean trick of letting you think you've gotten her to sleep and then being wide awake 5 minutes after I put her down in her bassinet or crib. I have found that I have to let her sleep for about half an hour on my lap or chest and then when I put her down she stays asleep. I think it's because they have the different sleep cycles and she just takes a while to get into a deep sleep.

hopefully your little guy will start sleeping for longer periods soon but if not just make sure you at least geta few cat naps when he's sleeping during the day!

Good Luck!

Emily
mom to Maya born April 14

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 10:32pm
I totally feel your pain, because my first-born was a truly *horrible* sleeper -- 20 minute naps during the day, eating every 2-3 hours at night for months... Luckily, I have a great sleeper this time around -- a minimum of a 5 hour stretch every night since the day we brought her home from the hospital, sometimes as long as 7 hours, plus two 2-3 hour naps per day and a few shorter naps. One major thing I've done differently this time around is swaddling. It's also clear that part of the difference is just their individual selves, but we did notice that dd wouldn't sleep well or long unless she was snuggled by us in the first few days. Then, we tried swaddling her tightly for naps and night-time, and voila! sleep! I still swaddle her (she's 7 weeks) for all sleeping. It makes the difference between her waking up after 20-30 minutes (I think she startles awake) and sleeping for hours. And she is a very bad sleeper in carseat, bouncy chair, and other places where she's not super sungged up, so I do think that for some babies, being snugly wrapped is the magic key to good sleep. If only I'd known to try that with ds two years ago!
Good luck,
Andrea
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-03-2006 - 1:06am
That seems to be about the same as Shaleena is sleeping, and she's 5 weeks...
zorensiggy
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-03-2006 - 4:41am
liz wakes up 1-2 times at night....stays up a lot during the day (and I was used to getting stuff done while she napped...HAH!) lol....yesterday she took maybe a half hour worth of naps, spaced out....so when DH got home he took over, seeing how frazzled I was....got a good nap out of the deal too where I didnt even want to wake up for dinner, which was served at 8pm! lol.....this should pass as he's only 4 weeks old, where as Liz is 7 on monday (ALREADY?????????) and she was the same way at 4 weeks old!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-03-2006 - 8:52am

wow. your baby's schedule sounds like mine. DS never wants to take naps during the day, he'll take little cat naps, never long enough for me to get anything done though. and he still eats roughly every three hours at night. And he's up by 7:30 in the morning, and I am NOT a morning person. He's 5 weeks today, I thought he would be sleeping longer at night by now. It's just recently he's started this too. He used to sleep a 5 hour block at night, and take a long afternoon nap. So I'm not the only one with an awake baby, I guess.

Jessica

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-04-2006 - 11:37am

Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess every child is different. I had to change from BF to formula this weekend and let me tell you it made a world of difference. He's much more comfortable, relaxed looking. I think his tummy really didn't like my breast milk even though I cut out anything that could upset him.
He's still sleeping about 3hours at night but during the day is a whole new baby. He's sleeping for a whole hour or more for his naps and he wakes up happy..which is nice compared to screaming!

He's sleeping now so I'm off to bed!

Vicky