How to price things for yard sale?

iVillage Member
How to price things for yard sale?
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 1:43pm

It has been forever since I have posted.

We r have baby number 2 in October and it is a girl. We are having a sale to get rid of all of Calebs outgrown clothes. 99% of it is name brand stuff like carters, gymboree, gap, childrens place, etc.

I need some input on this. So far I have not priced anything over 5.00. Brand name shirts are 2, jeans 2-3, onuses at 1. If I have whole outfits I am putting them at like 3-4. We r not only trying to make space but Ned to actually make some money out of this for girl clothes.

So going with those prices what do you think?

TIA

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 1:52pm

If they are perfect condition and name brand that sounds good. It any of it is a cheaper brand or more worn, I would price 50 cents to $1. I am a pretty cheap garage sale shopper, and if stuff is over priced I don't buy. If you notice stuff selling well from the start, you should be good. If it doesn't sell, you can always lower the prices later on.

For stuff other than clothes, I would price 25% of reg cost for perfect condition and 10% for less than perfect. That is the rule of thumb I use when I buy used. Some things will sell for more, and others you may have to price even less.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 6:57pm

If they're brand name in excellent, like new condition then that pricing sounds fine. Anything with wash wear, fade, stains, etc should be way cheaper. Also, for what it's worth, I probably wouldn't pay those prices for brands like Carters, but would be more than happy to pay 5 dollars for a gap or gymbo outfit.

You can also always start high and then drop as the day goes by. Just color code with a sign for prices, rather than writing the price on each item.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 4:05pm

Congrats on Baby #2!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 4:29pm

Cara,

I have been keeping up wth you on FB.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic