I had my baby and its a........

iVillage Member
I had my baby and its a........
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 7:08pm

....BOY!!!!!!!!

Samuel Anthony was born last Friday, November 20th at 6:02 pm. 6 lbs, 14 oz, 18 1/4 inches long.

I am over the moon, elated, and estatic all at once!!! Such an amazing gift from Heaven!!!! He is nursing like a CHAMP - not one problem - he latched RIGHT on, is already back up to his birth weight (he was 6 lbs 6 oz when I came home) and I already have about 10 oz in the fridge!!!!!

Here is my birth story......

Last Fri morning about 3 am I woke up with cramps. I thought it was just round ligament pain which I had the entire pregnancy - but when it came back again a few minutes later I thought "hmmmmmmm" maybe I should time these? Turns out I was cramping about every 5 min - only for about 30 seconds or so at a time. I went to the bathroom and had a bit of blood and mucus (sorry for the TMI) but I knew I was contracting. My water had not yet broken, but I decided around 4:30 to take a shower and pack the rest of my bag, since I figured at some point I would be going to L & D. After the shower the pain was getting a tiny bit more intense, so I woke up DH and called my sis to come and watch Joe.

By 7 am my sis was there and the doc told me to come in and get checked. Contractions were still timing the same, but getting a little more intense - though I was still able to talk through them. Got to L & D and they hooked me up to a monitor - doc came in and checked me (my OB was not on call but another woman from the practice was, and I love her too so I was happy she was on till 7 the next morning, so I knew she would probably be delivering for me :-) I was checked at 7:30 am and was 4 centimeters dilated, so she told me she was admitting me and got me to a labor room. My doula showed up around 9 and I cant begin to tell you how wonderful she was!!!!!!! I progressed from 4 to 6 cm by noon - the contractions were getting bad and the doc asked if I wanted an epidural, but I didnt. I was able to deal with the contractions - they were still spaced a few min apart which gave me time to catch my breath and although they were intense, they werent LONG. So, the doula suggested I get in the jacuzzi - it was the BEST - the warm water and jets really helped with the pain - and I dilated from 6 to 8 cm by around 2pm. By then, the pain was pretty bad but I will say that I kept MOVING - I was squatting, sitting on a birth ball, bending over - everything I could do to work through the contraction without laying down (laying down was the WORST!) My doula massaged my back through every contraction. STILL my water DID NOT break! The doula told me it was good - since i was working through the contractions and once my water broke things would definitely step up - in intensity. She really talked me through A LOT to keep me focused. I did not want another c-section, and I really believe that last time I got the epi too early which slowed my labor.

Finally, around 4 I couldnt take the pain anymore. I had a few contractions that I swear I think DH thought I was going to levitate off the ground! LOL! During one particular INTENSE contraction I got a little dizzy so DH put his arms around me to steady me - I lifted my arms around his neck and SPLASH! My water broke (A LOT OF IT) all over the floor and DH's sneakers (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL) at the time I wasnt laughing but looking back - it was pretty funny!!!!!!

Doula said "Sweetie, it wont be long now! You are doing IT!!!). At that point the Dr came in and checked me again - I was 9 (+) and she wanted me at that point the HAVE the epi. She told me since I was a VBAC and my stomach was so tight and tense it would relax me enough to push and definitely would NOT slow anything down. At that point I was fine with it - 10 minutes later epi was in (I was screaming at that point) and I started feeling less pain. Epi now is not like it was 3 years ago - I still felt my legs, my feet, and INTENSE pressure - no pain though - and even though it was still uncomfortable, it was do-able! I pushed for about an hour - and at 6:02 pm I HAD A SUCCESSFUL VBAC BABY BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An hour after I had him I felt like I did 2 weeks after my c (and I didnt have a bad c section recovery!) It was amazing and even though some thought I was crazy to wait so long to have drugs, Im glad I got to experience ALL of it. The actual birth was just amazing. DH was there, my doula, Drs and 3 medical students who asked if they could observe (at that point I didnt care WHO observed!) All DH kept saying was "You're doing it! You're doing it!!!!!!!"

Anyway - sorry this got sooo long - but here are some pics of our sweet baby boy!!!!!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 7:44pm
Great story and beautiful result!!! I'm so happy for you Rachel!
Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 9:22pm
Awww Rachel, what a beautiful birth story!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 10:08am
Rachel I'm so excited for you!! Congrats on a second boy and congrats on having a successful VBAC!!! He is just precious!!

Photobucket

thtwins4.gif image by spowells3

Photobucket

preview image

thtwins4.gif image by spowells3

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 3:29pm

WHAT a FANTASTIC birth story - You should be soo proud of yourself - I know the feeling of a VBAC and it's great!! :-) Congrats!!

Joe will be an awesome big brother! :-)

So happy for you! :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 5:03pm
Rachel, CONGRATULATIONS!

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 6:40pm
Congratulations! He's beautiful!
collen.png picture by Castilia33
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 8:15pm
Congrats, Rachel!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 10:50pm
CONGRATULATIONS on your baby BOY Rachel! I'm so happy for you. Glad to hear everyone is happy and healthy and that your delivery went well. It's good to hear the bf'ing is going well (I decided to try it this time round and it is not going well at all, I didn't realize something could be so difficult!)

Photobucket
src="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e158/stepoutd/Project1.png">

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 12:03am

CONGRATULATIONS!

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 12:40am
Woohoo for a successful VBAC! I'm glad your recovery feels easier, that's got to be nice with Joey to chase around :o) Congratulations!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages