I love you most of all Mommy...

iVillage Member
I love you most of all Mommy...
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 10:22am

L says this to me pretty often when DH, L, and I are hanging out in her room before bed. It's sweet, but it really does make DH feel bad. I always try to get her to say something about loving Daddy too, but obviously it's coached, and doesn't really help.

Any advice????

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 11:11am

She'll come around! :-) Selah STILL says that kind of stuff to me ALL the time more than DH. She's definitely more of a mama's girl .. but of course loves daddy to pieces too. Just be sure they get to do fun things together w/o you - so they have their own bonding time that's different that what you'd do with her, KWIM?

Selah LOVES to go on 'dates' with daddy. She and I will make a big deal out of it and even if we've been hanging out all day with DH ... we'll sneak off to do her hair pretty or change her into one of dad's favorite outfits .. special earrings, and perhaps a little lipgloss. :-) She's a girly girl - so that makes her feel extra special to get prettied up for a date with daddy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 11:13am
Also wanted to add .. I think around this age is really when they start looking to their same gender parent much more .. I know that's how it was for Koben .. he's definitely a daddy's boy and still is. :-)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 11:18am
Have you said anything to her about it? She's old enough to understand about hurt feelings, and that while it may be nice to you, it's not nice to him. If you explain it she can probably start including a nice daddy thing on her own or not say that when he's there, etc.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 11:52am
She will come around. Right now Amelia is Daddy's girl... if Daddy is around, she has eyes for nobody else. My middle son, though, LOL. About 2 months ago he's lying in bed between DH and I. He turns to me and says - I love you best, Mommy. Turns to DH and says - I love you third best, Daddy. And he was totally serious, and totally meant it as a compliment. It was so funny, but in B's eyes, being third best is a great thing to be.
DSC_9102_1
DSC_1103
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-02-2009 - 10:18am
We're going through this right now too. DH will tell AD that he loves him and AD will say, "No, I love Mommy." The only thing I can think of is to wait it out. I figure it's just a phase and developmental stage. AD doesn't really understand that he is hurting DH, he is just trying to give me a compliment. Although sometimes he even says, "I don't like you Daddy" but I think that's said for attention. Strangely, AD's comments often come at bedtime too.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket