Laundry Questions

iVillage Member
Laundry Questions
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 12:06pm

First, let me just say I suck at doing laundry!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 12:26pm

First let me ask .. what all is staining their clothes? Obviously at a baby age - theirs poop and such .. but unless it's straight up grape juice on a white shirt .. we rarely have stained clothes? So, I'm just curious what all is staining their clothing. :-)

Also, what detergent do you use? I've used Tide for years .. and occasionally Gain, but Tide is my go-to detergent. My close friends always think our clothes last for a long time .. so perhaps it's the detergent?

Also .. do you generally wash in hot/cold/warm water?! All our tops and such I wash in cold and use Tide coldwater .. which I do think is great! :-) I also hang all of our clothes to dry .. except undies/socks/towels and such. Do you use a hot setting on your dryer - that was can a huge toll on clothes!! Be sure if you do use your dryer to use a low setting!!

If all else fails ... no more light clothes .. I really try to rarely buy white/super light shirts, JIC. :-)

HTH?!?!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 1:43pm
Do you have hard water? I had similar issues when we were renting a house with out a water softener. My clothes faded pretty bad over those 6 months, and stains just did not want to come out, even with soaking. If you don't have a softener, there are some laundry products that you can buy to help.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 2:14pm

Sandra, everything seems to stain their clothes LOL

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 2:18pm
Interesting!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 2:21pm

I'm same as you and suck at laundry but my mom is awesome. So I have learned a few tricks.

SUNLIGHT bar soap, it's

emma1.jpg picture by canadianmom85
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 2:23pm
Just thought I'd add we use tide as well, the white boxed one. It's not cold water but I wash everything in cold water with it.

emma1.jpg picture by canadianmom85
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 2:33pm

Sounds like Tide is the way to go then!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 4:00pm
Just wanted to add that we have a softener and I love it, it really works well with the dish washer also!!

Photobucket

thtwins4.gif image by spowells3

Photobucket

preview image

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 4:02pm
Sandra, does line drying help all clothes? I hang all the boys jeans in our spare bathroom because they take forever to dry and they are always coming out wrinkled anyways out of the dryer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

preview image

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 5:10am
Stephanie - I have no 'research' but it would just make sense to me that by NOT drying them it'll help them last, KWIM? Also, DH is a jean connoisseur and not one pair of his jeans is allowed to touch the dryer - LOL .. so IMO .. it's just good for clothes. :-)

Also Lori ... just wanted to mention that I don't have a clothesline (we wouldn't hang dry outside b/c of allergies) but I use this ...

Photobucket

And I'd put this on FB a while back ... since I hang all the kids clothes (vs. dresser) ... I make great use of our bunk bed and just turn the ceiling fan on med and they dry in no time. :-)

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

Pages