In need of gardening advice

iVillage Member
In need of gardening advice
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 2:09pm
We are having Joey's party tomorrow & I would like a quick spruce up for the yard. We have cut the grass, for the first time this year, and I want to put some flowers in the planters. My problem is I don't know what kind to get. Here, in MO, the nights are still pretty cool, getting as low as the 30's some times. I want something that would survive a few more cool nights.
Thanks!

Heather Pictures, Images and Photos
Heather Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 2:46pm

So, you've got a completely different climate that I do .. however ... it's generally always safe to go to Lowes/Home Depot or ANY local nursery and they will only have out, what generally works well for your climate/time of the year. :-) Be sure to note whether the spot you are looking to spruce up gets all day sun, a little bit of sun and some shade, or is completely shaded by trees or your home, KWIM?

Once you know what type of light it gets .. then just head to the store and you can wander around and see what strikes your fancy. :-) Also, you probably already know this .. but Annuals are plants that you have to plant every year and generally don't grow back - though sometimes they surprise you. Perennials are plants that will come back year after year! :-)

GL and LMK what you end up getting! :-)

Photobucket

siggy by Laura (nivribug)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 2:55pm
Pansies do well this time of year. I have some in my front pots, and I will leave them there until late May and replace them with whatever I want for the rest of the summer.
Photobucket
Photobucket