pacifier vs naps

iVillage Member
pacifier vs naps
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 5:31pm

Once again I am back with a question about the twins.

siggysummer2009.jpg picture by briansillywife

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 5:43pm

Are they in the same room? Can you try separating them for naps and see if that helps?

I got rid of all my kids pacifiers before the one year mark. So, I tend to lean that way, but naps are so important, and if that helps them fall asleep, go with it a while longer. Maybe wait and quit the paci when naps end. How have they been doing at night?

Barrett sucks his thumb, and I can't take that away, but I am so thankful he has it because he goes right down for naps and at night, and has slept through the night better than any of the others ever did.

Maybe just limit the paci to the bed, and leave it at that, for now. I bet you need that break mid day.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 5:57pm

Thanks Holly.

siggysummer2009.jpg picture by briansillywife

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 6:10pm
Don't know what you are doing for bedtime, (paci or no paci) - I know with C, I did what ever I needed to in the beginning to help (naps or falling asleep in the car, up until exhaustion, falling asleep in our bed...what ever it took) - I figured once I broke the paci problem, I could get her back onto a normal routine. I knew for C that it was time b/c she was not a great sleeper. She would wake up countless times through the night looking for the paci and was totally dependent on it. It was tough (reallllly tough) for the first few nights, but she became such a better sleeper that I know it was best for her in the end - hth -s

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 8:19pm

Well .. you saw what I said on FB ... both S and B used theirs until the night before their 4th bday! *blush* .. around 2, it was made ONLY to use in their bed. I don't mind them at all to aid in sleeping (obviously) .. now I can't stand seeing a 3 year old walking around the mall with on .. but to go to sleep, sure why not! :-)

IMO .. I'd let them keep their binky and wean it later .. naps are WAY more important IMO!!! Plus .. if you're worried at all about their teeth - don't ... the spacing of baby teeth, doesn't totally affect how their big (permanent) teeth will all come. Also .. both Selah and Brantzen had a pretty big gap between the upper and lower teeth .. from where they'd sleep with it clinched in their mouth and literally a few weeks after they stopped using it the space naturally closed! yay!! :-)

GIVE them the paci!!! ;-) Again .. just my 2 cents. ;-) ha!

Oh and FWIW ... we talked long about the fact they couldn't have their binky once they turned 4 and they both did just fine .. I was a little worried about B, b/c he was sooo attached to it at night .. but it was just matter of fact .. 4 year old don't use binkies .. and he asked for 2 nights .. but that was IT! :-) They are big kids by then ... so it's so much easier. :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 8:25am

Now that I read what Stacey wrote, I remember why I got rid of them when I did. Each of my kids had trouble with night waking and had trouble falling asleep unless I came in and found the paci for them. Once it was gone, most of our sleep issues were resolved. Joey still woke at night forever, but I think that would have continued paci or no paci.

So, how are they at night? Do they sleep all night or do they wake looking for it?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 10:59am

I guess I am relaxed when it comes to pacifiers...

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 11:03am
I also have a 2 year old who will NOT nap without his, I

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 2:21pm

I would probably give the pacifiers back.

//www.sparklee.com