Peanut Free School Snacks?

iVillage Member
Peanut Free School Snacks?
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 3:29pm

So Grace starts school in a couple weeks, and I am trying to make a list of foods that she eats so I can plan out her lunches/snacks (I am a dork, I know...but I am a very organized one haha).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 4:35pm
For my kids, the only peanut restrictions have been on class snacks when there's a peanut allergy child in that particular classroom. Lunches still have PBJ and any other peanut-y snacks they want. Most schools have a peanut-free table where kids with allergies can sit, but other than that, this hasn't been any issue for us.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 8:39pm

Interesting!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 9:25pm

I would ask the teacher, or the school you are sending her to. My boys school (elementary) has restrictions based on the classroom and teacher, and obviously the student's allergy. Last year, peanut products were allowed at lunch (there is a peanut free table), but not at snack (aka, in the classroom) for one of my kids. For the other, as long as it wasn't obvious nuts, and even then he was told to eat on the other side of the classroom as so-and-so.

For preschool, it depends on what the allergies in the class are. When my boys were there, there were no restrictions. Last year there was no nuts in either class (MWF or Tues/Thurs) I am not sure if that was due to 1 student, or 1 in each class. This year it looks like no restrictions... we will see!!

Anyway, I would give a call to whomever is in charge and just ask!

Photobucket

DSC_4424
DSC_1103
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 8:26am

I am wondering the same thing.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 9:37am
Stephanie, I am worried about Grace not eating too, that is one of my biggest concerns with her starting school.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 9:56am
I've talked to the school about Braden's feeding issues and that he has to be reminded to chew, and that

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 3:01pm
Yes, good luck to you guys as well!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 4:56pm

I can't believe they won't let you have peanut-free spread as an alternative. Maybe they are just worried about not being able to check it. A friend of mine buys the sunflower butter because it is the only one her school does allow.

Our school is peanut free for classroom snacks, but not in the lunchroom. Michael has always had someone with a severe peanut allergy in his class since kindergarten. It is easier now that most labels bold print the allergen info at the bottom of the ingredients. His teachers used to provide a list of suggested peanut free snacks. I'll see if I can find it.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket