Raising a Reader

iVillage Member
Raising a Reader
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 2:33pm

This subject came up on one of my other boards.

iVillage Member
In reply to: charm_3
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:53pm

I am in the exact same boat as you and I also hope to pass on the same love onto my kids.

When DeVon moved in with us, he was actually behind with his reading. He was testing a grade level below, which wasn't too surprising since most of his grades from the year prior were C's and D's. Obviously we needed to work hard at catching up, my plan including mandatory reading for x amount of time every night. I think the first book I bought him was "The Tale of the Fourth Grade Nothing" and he just loved it. And from there on, he began reading vigorously. By the end of his fifth grade year, he had been with us for two years, he had the most AR (a reading program that school has)points then anybody else in his grade AND school. He actually received a trophy for it, which was very cool.

Reading has given us something to bond over. I will often read the books he reads and we will talk about them. Kayla already has the same love for books and has started showing an interest in learning to read herself. I hope she picks up the same interest that D and I have in the future, but time will only tell!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 9:29pm

I've found that reading to them at night - books they enjoy, and finding a book that they will love to get them hooked. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Diary of a Wimpy kid were both great books that got my oldest hooked into reading. It is great now when I find him tucked in a corner reading a book.

I am the same way, I love to read. It would bother me if the kids didn't love reading, too, but so far they all seem to. They see me read quite a bit, and we read to them at night. Storytime (all told - all three kids) takes about an hour at night. My oldest gets 1-2 chapters of whatever book we are reading with him (currently Harry Potter #3 - for the third time!), my younger two sometimes combine stories, sometimes not. Currently they get 1-3 chapters of Junie B Jones, and 1-2 picture story books together.

Photobucket

DSC_4424
DSC_1103
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 1:41am

I think we have definilty raised a few readers.

siggysummer2009.jpg picture by briansillywife