School supplies for JK?

iVillage Member
School supplies for JK?
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 7:43am

I was talking to my friend (she is a teacher)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 9:08am

Stephanie, I was wondering about school supplies also.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 11:52am
I hear you on the germs Stephanie. I am so worried about all the stuff I know Lily is going to bring home. Especially with Liam being little and putting EVERYTHING in his mouth. I'll have to give her a decontamination shower when she gets home, LOL! When I was in school we all had our own supplies. We had a school box and our names were on everything and no one else was allowed to touch or use our stuff. Lily's pre-K supply list has crayons, markers, bottled glue and glue sticks. They all go in one box and the kids share. The only thing that is strictly hers is her can of playdough, two folders and her back pack.

lovefeelingaction.gif image by okiefrmuskogeebg50.gif image by okiefrmuskogeeLorieblinkie.gif image by okiefrmuskogee

b5.gif picture by okiefrmuskogee

loveduck.jpg image by okiefrmuskogee

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 8:50pm

Ah yes .. school supply time! :-)

All schools are different, but it's been my experience that when it comes to preschool .. there's usually a supply fee .. like $80 or so .. and that covers ALL supplies for the entire year. Then they just come with standard stuff like back pack, lunch box. and YES .. it's all often shared items. :-/

Even in Elementary school .. when we go purchase the supplies .. they generally go into ONE big pot and then handed out. :-/ At first I was concerned, when I found myself paying for the nice crayola items and perhaps others were sending in generic brands .. but they are usually specific in their supply lists .. like the Crayola 12 count color pencils etc. I've come to not worry about it .. but YES .. my first thought was like hey ... I picked out that pair of nice pair scissors, and that's what I want my child to use.

Also ... another side note ... like you all said ... the SECOND they all come in the garage door, it's STRAIGHT to the bathroom to wash hands a good long time with soap and warm water. Of course, their germies are getting all on the car and I used to give hand sanitizer before they got in the car .. but I'm not that strict with it any more .. unless it's just a bad sick season .. then I will do that in addition.

I'm sooo not looking forward to all the germs being brought home again .. it's been nice to be in our healthy summer bubble not exposed to HUNDREDS of other kids day in and day out.

One thing you could ask ... I was the room parent for my kids classes and every Friday afternoon, I'd go in and spray down their desks. :-) The janitors weren't required to deep clean their desktops and the teachers don't always have the time .. so for me .. it was well worth my time to help cut down on the germs. :-) Plus, gave me a great time to chit chat and get to know their teachers. :-)

Sorry to get on the germ cleaning tangent. ;-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 4:37pm
The supplies are shared in kindergarten. Germs don't seem to be an issue. I never noticed the kids were sick more often than those who had their own supplies.
emma1.jpg picture by canadianmom85
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-01-2010 - 11:19am

In Pre-K all are supplies are shared.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 3:18pm

Everything is shared at DD's preschool. BUT they are constantly having kids wash their hands, and they use "magic soap" when the kids walk through the door in the morning, to cut down on germs. It's impossible for a preschool to avoid all germs, though, as all the toys are shared, anyway.

Her's is a private preschool (a co-op), so while there is no supply list sent home, there is a wish list, and really all parents share in picking up what the school needs through out the year. It's part of how they keep costs down.

Photobucket

DSC_4424
DSC_1103