? for tose with older ones

iVillage Member
? for tose with older ones
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 4:56pm

Title is supposed to be Those!

I am an only child so I do not know what is it like to have a sibling and all that comes with that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 11:37pm

I wish I had some advice for you... I expect to be dealing with the same thing soon enough so I look forward to hearing what the others have to say.

I think that yes she is likely getting some of that from what Cole is watching but who knows. Noah likes to watch Phineous and Ferb and I detest that show specifically because of the sassiness that is portrayed. I hope it gets better for you :)

Powered by CGISpy.com

<A href="http:

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 12:15am

In answer to your specific questions:
1) It could easily be from the shows Cole watches, things she overhears him say with friends, etc. First kids lead much more sheltered lives than older kids, so the younger ones get exposed to a whole lot more in general and it's earlier.

2) Totally normal relationship. Yes, there are kids out there who never pick on each other, but most siblings bug each other at least some of the time.

3) I'd probably try to explain by first telling her we don't say that because it's unkind, then give her something else unkind she can equate it with (like if you've made the same point over a word like stupid or dumb, because then she can put it in the same category). I'd also ask her where she heard it and what she thought it meant. A lot of times they're just parroting things in what they think are appropriate situations without knowing an exact meaning.

4) Daddy comes into play because she loves him and wants his respect. If she spent most of her time with Daddy, then she'd say the same thing about Mommy. We want people to like us and not have others tell them the less than flattering moments of our lives, so it's probably the same thing.

FWIW, sassiness seems to go in phases with my kids. Just try to be consistent and explain constantly and hopefully it will be a short-lived phase.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 12:22am

Amie,

I am not Reagan but you always have such a clear way of explaining things and an awesome approach! Thank you :) you ROCK!