What did you do with your wedding dress?

iVillage Member
What did you do with your wedding dress?
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 1:15pm

I have been married for five years now (five years tomorrow...yay!) and my wedding dress is still hanging in my closet taking up space.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 1:30pm
Mine's just hanging in the closet and it's been over 10 years! You could put it on Craigslist/Kijiji type things and try to sell it that way. Or you could offer it free if they have a good reason for needing it. Then you'll feel like someone is getting use out of it and loving it and maybe it won't seem as sad as a donation??

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 1:41pm
My dress is preserved in a huge box and sitting in my closet. I doubt Lily will ever want to wear it, but good grief the thing cost $1,000. I can't see just taking it to goodwill. I got married 13 years ago so it would be too out of style to resale I am sure. I figure one of these days if Lily doesn't want it I will see about having it made into a keepsake pillow or blanket, or covering a keepsake box with it. I've seen some at craft shows where they have done this with dresses they've bought at thrift stores and it is pretty neat.

lovefeelingaction.gif image by okiefrmuskogeebg50.gif image by okiefrmuskogeeLorieblinkie.gif image by okiefrmuskogee

thstarprince.gif Mommy's little prince image by okiefrmuskogeeblinkie_AP_breastfeedingmommy.gif breastfeeding mommy image by okiefrmuskogeethap.gif Mummy's Princess image by okiefrmuskogee

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 1:44pm

I had mine preserved just after my wedding (8 years ago!). I'm glad I did it, though the huge box is kind of annoying. Now that we have ample closet space it isn't quite as obnoxious though. I love that I've kept it and Robin loves to look at it. I remember when I was younger, my sisters and I would look at my mom's wedding dress and it was just so magical!

Anyway, I find it hard to get rid of things with sentimental value; but I've been trying to remember something my friend told me recently. I was struggling with selling a framed print at a garage sale that belonged to my deceased grandmother. My friend said that "the print is not your grandmother." This is so true!! I ended up selling the print for $10, LOL.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket <
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 1:49pm
Now that you mention having things made from the wedding dress, I remember that my mom told me of someone having a christening gown made for their infant's baptism. I thought that was a pretty cool idea!!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket <
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 3:31pm
Now that is a wonderful idea!

lovefeelingaction.gif image by okiefrmuskogeebg50.gif image by okiefrmuskogeeLorieblinkie.gif image by okiefrmuskogee

thstarprince.gif Mommy's little prince image by okiefrmuskogeeblinkie_AP_breastfeedingmommy.gif breastfeeding mommy image by okiefrmuskogeethap.gif Mummy's Princess image by okiefrmuskogee