Will ducky attend junior kindergarten?

iVillage Member
Will ducky attend junior kindergarten?
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 11:18pm
I can't believe the time has come to be thinking about this already, but Grace will be starting school in next September (2010)!!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 12:02am

So, is this Jr. Kindergarten a part of your public school system?

Our public school has a preschool program, but you have to meet certain requirements (language issues, or financial perhaps). I will definitely send Brantzen to a 3 full day preschool the year before he starts Kindergarten. I'm a fan of going at least one year to official 'preschool' before starting Kindy. I can't imagine going from staying at home with mom all day to a full time Kindergarten .. so the 3 full days the year before has been a nice adjustment for my kids so far. So, that's what I plan to do for Brantzen! :-)

Photobucket

siggy by Laura (nivribug)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 7:47am
Gabby has been going to preschool this year at our Church (three days a week for 3 hours), and next year she will go four days a week for 3 hours.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 10:11am

We will definitely be enrolling Blake into pre-kindergarten.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 11:50am
Samantha starts preschool next Friday, then Sept of next year she will start Pre K for a year.

Amanda

<
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 12:27pm
Joey goes to an inhome daycare. She is a liscensed dcp, which here means she has a curriculum also. Joey already knows a lot of things, and when tested by our Parents as Teachers edcuator he exceeded the 5 year old testing, so I am not concerned. Our school district only offers pre-k , or Jr Kindy, for children with special needs or learning disabilities, or very low income, so we do not qulaify any way. However, I know several families that have been with out DC for years, and have older children who went to kindy after being there & said their children were more than prepared. We also do a lot of learning games at home, as well as DD loving to teach him things, so I think he will be fine. He will not go to kind until Aug of 2011 though. Here they usually go when they are 5.

Heather Pictures, Images and Photos
Heather Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 2:41pm

Nope! I don't send my kids to preschool. They'll be in school for 17+ years & I'm not sending them any sooner than necessary. My kids have Sunday school, structured child care at my 1 day a week Bible study & playgroup so they get plenty of interaction with other kids & of course, I teach them things at home.

I'm pretty much the only one I know that doesn't do preschool, but it's what works well for our family. Oh, and as a side note, most schools around here offer half day kindy so they don't necessarily go from nothing to all day school. And my boys have had absolutely no problems adjusting to Kindergarten. :-)

Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 2:55pm

I'm so glad to read your response...I can't believe it's already time to decide about Pre-K. I'm pretty sure we aren't doing it because, financially, it's not even an option. All of my friends with older kids do preschool so I feel almost like a bad mom when I tell them that I don't think we are doing it. Dumb, I know.

However, in my area kindergarten is ALL day, every day (crazy, huh??) so I am a little concerned about the adjustment. There are ladies in my church group who do a preschool and switch off between moms every week but I don't know if I have the energy to plan lessons for a bunch of little kids! Ugh, I've been stressing about this decision but don't really have an answer!

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 3:00pm

I just wanted to add that I *loved* reading "junior kindergarten" in my response. I haven't heard that term since I left Toronto almost 20 years ago! Oh and grade 10...love that term too!

In the states there are often qualifications to attend public preschool. However, I know my cousin's daughter goes to preschool as kind of a role-model kid in the delayed class. Anyways, it's probably a no-go since we can't afford it. Although, one of my first memories of my childhood is when live owls were brought into my jr. kindy class...at 3 I knew the names for every variety of owls thanks to that class :)

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 5:01pm

Krista, that's exactly how I felt too...like maybe I was a bad mom for being the only one to not send my kid to preschool. Ends up that fear was completely unfounded & my kids had no problem adjusting in Kindy, and sure, they might not have known quite as much as the other kids, but they VERY quickly caught up. At the end of the 1st grade, my oldest's achievement test results came back that he was reading at a 4th grade level!

Just so you know, Patrick (my middle son) is in Kindergarten right now & he does full day (whereas Ashton did 1/2 day) & I was so worried about how he'd do. It didn't phase him one bit! He was so excited to be in school & at 5 1/2 yrs old, he was completely ready. So don't stress about preschool. They still have 2 yrs until Kindergarten, so you can always put him in preschool next year if you want. And there's plenty of teaching materials out there for free online if you're worried about him being behind in Kindy.

Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 8:12pm

I've been really struggling with this.

Photobucket

Pages