Writing letters

iVillage Member
Writing letters
Thu, 09-17-2009 - 3:37pm

Joey's preschool teacher mentioned something I thought I would share. One mom asked if she was going to work on letter formation, writing their names, etc. The teacher said that the muscles in the palm of their hand are still developing, and it is very difficult and sometimes painful for kids this age to hold a pencil correctly to write. She said they do other activities to strengthen those muscles like play-doh, and she said that peeling stickers is a great activity for that also. She said there is plenty of time to learn to write next year and in Kindergarten.

I really like his teacher and her teaching philosophies that she has shared so far.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: jnellia
Thu, 09-17-2009 - 5:57pm

I totally agree!

siggysummer2009.jpg picture by briansillywife

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 9:37am

I am actually surprised because RJ has loved to write letters for a while now.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 1:06pm
That is good to know! I've been working with Lily on starting to write her letters and she had tells me that it hurts. I thought she just wasn't interested. Now I know better. She loves playing with play-dough and stickers. I'll have to let her do more of that.

lovefeelingaction.gif image by okiefrmuskogeebg50.gif image by okiefrmuskogeeLorieblinkie.gif image by okiefrmuskogee

thstarprince.gif Mommy's little prince image by okiefrmuskogeeblinkie_AP_breastfeedingmommy.gif breastfeeding mommy image by okiefrmuskogeethap.gif Mummy's Princess image by okiefrmuskogee

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 1:14pm

That is really interesting.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 1:36pm

Thanks for the links. Here are two you might enjoy that I came across recently. This first one I love. I like simple art projects that they can do at this age. I am working on finding stuff Joey can do at the kitchen table while Barrett naps, and there are lots of good ideas here:

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

This second one you might really like for homeschooling. She has curriculum for all ages, starting at 0.

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 1:56pm

I felt the same as your MIL when Jane was this age. I wanted her to learn the proper way, so I didn't work on writing letters with her at all, and figured they could teach her the right way in school. She picked up enough on her own from preschool, books, tv, and friends that she started writing before kindergarten on her own.

Another thing to look into is what form of writing your elementary school teaches. Do they do classic printing with straight lines or do they teach D'Nealian with curvy tails. The schools around here do D'Nealian because it better prepares them for cursive.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 4:10pm
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to handwriting...silly, but I didn't know there were different kinds.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 9:09pm
I agree. Joe loves to draw shapes - circles, squares, triangles - and he can do a "J" and an "A" - on the doodle pro. He likes to write with a pencil but basically just lines and stuff...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-19-2009 - 9:53pm

I've been working on teaching Emma the alphabet and getting her to recongnize the letter. When we play on the chalkboard, IF SHES IN THE MOOD, then She'll write letters with me. So far she's written the letters E,M,a,N,o,P,T, Then last week she made a picture and one a letter at a time she copied and wrote LOVE EMMA on the bottom of it.

emma1.jpg picture by canadianmom85
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-20-2009 - 3:15pm
This is good to know.

Pages