Gingerbear Recipe

iVillage Member
Gingerbear Recipe
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 7:48pm
Someone asked for this on a different thread, but I thought I'd post it here. We made these every year while I was growing up. It's so neat to be able to do them with Audrey.
Note: feel free to modify the story based on your religious preferences.
Story: One winter, a little girl and her brother made gingerbread men. The little boy liked the bear cookie cutter best, so he cut out lots of bears. That night, the bears came to life! They played all through the kitchen, then helped the family get ready for Christmas. When Santa came on Christmas Eve, he gave the bears a heart for being good. Santa told them they would be real bears for as long as they remembered to do good things for the people who needed their love. --- Paraphrased from the Gingerbear cookbook
Cookie recipe:
6 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 TBSP ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup packed brown sugar
1 Cup solid vegetable shortening
1 Cup molasses
2 Eggs
2 TBSP cider vinegar
Additional flour
Raisins
Red cinnamon candies (Red Hots)
In a medium bowl, stir 6 1/2 Cups flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
Place brown sugar and shortening in a mixing brown. Beat on high until well blended. At low, beat in molasses, eggs, vinegar and flour mixture. Beat on medium until well blended, scraping bown occasionally. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
Turn on oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Divide dough into four pieces, keeping unused pieces covered in the fridge. On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough with a bear-shaped cutter and place cookies on cookie sheets. Dip the cutters in extra flour before each use; shake off excess. For each cookie, roll 1/4 tsp of dough into a ball with your hands and place on his face for a muzzle. Decorate each cookie with raisins for eyes and a raisin on the muzzle for a nose. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly firm to the touch. Remove from oven; place a red cinnamon candy on each Gingerbear for a heart. Return to oven for 30 seconds. Remove cookie sheets from the oven. With a wide pancake turner, remove cookies from cookie sheets and place on wire cooling racks. When cool, use tubes of icing for decorating if you wish (they're awesome as is, we never did this).
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 8:14pm

OHHHHHH.....SO yummy and I love the story!! :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 10:05pm
This one is soft.
Photobucket