Kindergarten Eligibility?

iVillage Member
Kindergarten Eligibility?
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 6:56pm

Does anyone know what month/year Kindergarten eligibility will be based on for the upcoming school year? I could have sworn that when my kids were going into Kindergarten, they had to be 5 on or before September of that upcoming school year to be eligible for Kindergarten. But the other day I was talking to one of my neighbors who has a child born in Aug 2007 and she mentioned being disappointed that her daughter wouldn't be able to go to Kindergarten this year because of her birthdate. She told me that she was almost positive that the age rule was that you had to be 5 years old on or before August 1st. 

Anyone here know? Maybe it's different for different parts of the country? 

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 2:28am

dbcbdc wrote:
Last year we thought that Lily would go, but in this new district we live in they had to be 5 on or before August 1st. Her Birthday is the 31st. The last district we lived in was on or before Sept. 30th. This year, everyone in Ohio is the same I believe. Which is August 1st.

Wow, that's crazy that it was different in different areas of the same state. We STILL have not been able to get a straight answer on what the eligibility is for here. Ugh.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-22-2013 - 10:07pm
Last year we thought that Lily would go, but in this new district we live in they had to be 5 on or before August 1st. Her Birthday is the 31st. The last district we lived in was on or before Sept. 30th. This year, everyone in Ohio is the same I believe. Which is August 1st.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-22-2013 - 2:03pm

Pretty sure it's different for each state (which makes no sense). I'll have to look at what it is here and let you know.