They're supposed to be reading?!?

iVillage Member
They're supposed to be reading?!?
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 8:57pm

I was just informed that the vast majority of kids know how to read BEFORE they enter Kindergarten...um what?!? My 5 1/2 year old is nowhere even close to reading! Now I'm panicking. Any of ya'll's kids reading yet?

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-22-2013 - 9:46am

Hmm..who told you that? I'm betting is one of those "braggy-type moms". Wink My youngest has been past the Kindergarten stage for a few years now but unless things have radically changed in these past few years, they do NOT have to know how to read before entering Kindergarten. I distinctly remember the teacher teaching a vast majority of the kids how to read DURING the Kindergarten year. Even in 1st grade, there were some who still had not caught on yet and that was totally okay too. Try not to stress!

Lisa 

Community Leader
Tue, 07-09-2013 - 9:45am
Mine just finished kindergarten, she was born in April 2007 and she was able to put a few words together when she started the year, but the majority of kids in her class did not read yet, and I don't believe they were expected to. By the end of the school year most of the kids were able to read to varying degrees, which is the goal from my understanding.
Photobucket