Ean Michael is here! 06/12 Natural Birth

iVillage Member
Ean Michael is here! 06/12 Natural Birth
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 7:02pm

Ean Michael is here! He arrived on June 12th, 2010 at 0422 in the morning 19.5 inches long and 6 lbs 14 oz. His APGAR scores were 8/8 and he is hale and hearty!
On June 11th I had my regularly scheduled OB appointment and an NST. That morning the NST showed contraction activity and the OB confirmed that I had indeed dilated one centimeter in the previous four days. Unfortunately this was still not considered an active labor at this point and I was told it was very possible for me to sit for weeks at 3 cm and 70% effaced. I left the appointment with a heavy heart and a consistently nagging back pain. When I spent the whole afternoon with the annoying back pain, continued pelvic pressure, and minor contractions I decided to head up to labor and delivery that evening.
Arriving there it looked fairly quiet because there was only one other woman in triage. The monitor showed regular contractions and when I was checked internally I found out I had dilated to a 4 from the morning. Finally I was told that admittance was happening for me and that it wouldn’t be long before we met our newest son. When I got settled in to my labor and delivery room the contractions all but stopped. Three hours later because I had only progressed to a five and they liked to see something more like one cm per hour, I was put on pitocin. Every thirty minutes the nurse would increase the flow if I wasn’t looking like enough was happening. In my doctor’s words, I looked way too comfortable. I spent the whole labor just chatting with my mom and looking foreword to progress. Three more hours later I had progressed to 8cm and was making the kind of progress the doc liked to see. She still commented that I appeared far too cozy for being in active labor.
40 minutes after she checked me as an 8 I was having strong contractions with the pain running into my upper thighs. I had Mike rub my feet during the contractions and it gave me a point to focus on that felt normal. I warned the nurse that I thought the time to push was coming soon because the contractions were starting to feel like my stomach was a tooth paste tube and pressure was being exerted to squeeze out. Unfortunately at this point baby Ean’s heart rate was dropping and the nurse requested me to lay on my side. The nurse didn’t believe much was about to occur but conceded to check me during a contraction. She assured me that I wasn’t complete but that if I wanted to push I could, in a placating manner. I told my mom and Mike that I really thought I needed to push and I wanted the doctor or nurse (because she walked out of the room, since she was sure nothing was going on).
Mom went back out in the hall and called to the nurse, who came back in since requested. Suddenly the pain took an intense and animalistic turn and I was incapable of doing anything but bearing down in a non- stop contraction. I felt a fire like pain as my cervix stretched and the baby began to pass through. In two contractions his head was out and the nurse was screaming for the doctor and baby nurse to hurry. In just one more push Ean was born and placed on my tummy, much to the shock of the nurses and doctor. They did not expect me to go from a 9 to birth so quickly and that he just slid right out. I was beyond shocked that I had just labored and delivered with no pain medications whatsoever. It was not my goal to have a natural birth, but it was so easy! I just chatted with my mom and husband, only suffering the intense birthing pains for the last ten minutes. The doctors assured me that my body had handled it amazingly well and were surprised beyond all belief at the ease of the labor, particularly with the high level of pitocin as well, and how fast he sped out. No tears, just a slight abrasion, and breast feeding is fabulous!

I can’t believe the difference in this and Daley’s birth. Ean came out wide awake, alert, and ready to latch instantly. He feeds wonderfully and often. I also remember every detail of the labor and birth because I had no medical interventions to blur me. In addition the recovery is amazing! I was up and walking around within an hour after the birth and two days later don’t feel at all like I just had a baby. Daley finds his little brother intriguing, and now we are blessed with two astounding little boys. It’s mind blowing. What a great experience. Only 10 hours, super easy, and empowering!
My final lesson from this is that I'll never trust their instructions on what the signs of labor should be. If I had listened to their guidance on when to come in I would have had my baby at my house on the porch.

Julianne

DH Mike since 05/15/2005

DS Daley John 08-07-2007

Ean Michael 06-12-2010

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 9:28pm

congratulations, I am so glad it went so well and he is here.

post some pics when you can.

so glad he is feeding well and you are doing so well.

congrats again.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 11:58pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Good job on having a natural birth and having NO pain!! :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 12:01pm
Congratulations:) Can't wait to see pics:) How are you feeling today?

Photobucket

Thanks for my wonderful signature, Terra!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 9:57pm
Congratulations !! So glad it went well and Daley's little brother is here. Hooray !!
Photobucket Photobucket pregnancy Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 2:30pm
Congratulations...what a wonderful birth story! :-)
MaySiggy1.jpg picture by Castilia33