letter and number recognition?

iVillage Member
letter and number recognition?
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 8:47am

When and how do you start teaching this?

nolan knows the key letters, ie, m for mommy, d for daddy, g for grandma, nolan for his name.

just wondering how to work on that....

And when should they know them all.

By kindergarten they need to know all their letters and numbers, so next fall for us, and by grade 1, two years later (as we have jk and sk) they have to be able to read.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 12:29pm

As you know I'm a big fan of the Leapfrog Letter Factory.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 10:05pm
We have wooden blocks that have letters and numbers printed on them. They're the classic wooden blocks you think of in a child's nursery. Audrey got them last Christmas, and we've played with them on and off since then. She can recognize all of the uppercase ones, but not the lowercase ones yet. We also write things out for her in crayon when we're drawing pictures. I THINK she can recognize her name when it's written out, but I'm not sure. Lowercase letters are the project for this summer.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 12:26pm

what? they have to know the letters before going to kindergarten? thats kinda silly.

lara recognizes all the numbers but only a few letters. it happened in 2 ways.
1-she watches the old sesame street and elmos.
2-we have magnets with numbers and letters and we play with them all the time. i dont put them all out at once of course. she likes to animate anything--not just dolls or animals...so some days im like ill be th ltter M for mommy and the ltter m plays with the other little people etc. and she remembers that one.

but i think way more important than recognizing letters is reading. the best way to get kids to learn to read is to read to them(and also reading to yourself in front of them gets them interested). and thats much more valuable than trying to get them to learn letters very early-as they will learn them all the same and much quicker a bit later on. with reading they start recognizing words that are repeated frequently. Lara for example recognizes the word zoo. but im not crazy trying to teach it to her it just appears a lot in 2 of her favorite books.

Photobucket
Thanks to Elena from signature showcase for my beautiful siggy!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 1:50pm

I was talking to my friend (who's a Kindergarten teacher).

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 5:45pm

DD knows all her letters, numbers up to 14. How high are they supposed to know for numbers?

I don't really work with DD for either item...she used to watch the leap frog letter factory videos a lot and those really helped her learn them, but she doesn't really like them anymore.

She has 2 years before she goes to kindergarten so I'm not feeling in much of a rush. We're going to start working on reading/writing Apr 1st because my goal for her 3rd birthday is for her to be able to spell her name. Other words would be nice, too =)

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 11:40am
Dylan has learned a lot from Ryan. He knows his name starts with a D. He will point at each word starting with a D and ask if it is his name.
American and European Schools are way different I think. I went a lot with the flow on Ryans playgroup here on IV. While he had problems writing his name neatly, he could when starting kindergarten. he knew his colors and shapes. he could count to 20 in two languages and sing the ABC. entered school.. and... they are teaching the shapes just now. and he is bored because we already did this at home a long time ago...